Windows Vista

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Well I bought a new Toshiba laptop earlier this week with Vista Home Premium OS. I was leery about Vista seeing how it's new and we all know what them means when it comes to Microsoft products. LMAO...

So far I'm very happy with it. Even with all the bloatware that comes pre-installed it ran very nice. After disabling half of the new security features Vista has and cleaning up the programs I don't need loading it seems like a very stable OS on this laptop anyway. Maybe I'll feel differently after using it more.
unsure.gif

TheCartDude

Cartaholic
That was my introduction to Vista :lol
I've hated it since day one cause on the HP laptops, it doesn't look like the bloatware can be nuked lol

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
LMAO...

So far so good here. I'm not sure I like IE7 but Vista seems to be okay I guess. After axing some of the security garbage it looks just like XP other than the eye candy. Like I said my opinion may change after I use it a little more.
newlaugh.gif

They claim Vista will run anything written for XP. That was my biggest concern. So far all the software I've installed on it works fine.

Grizzley

I have to agree with the cart dude, even though I have never tried Vista. Ya know, other than more money for MS, I cant figure why we need a new OS every few years. If it works good keep it!!! I am really getting tired of all the NEW electronics, ie. ps3, xbox360, Wii and so on and so forth. We cant even work on our own vehicles without a degree of some sort, I predict that the future will bring disposable cars that wont even have a hood to look under. All you will do is drive them for six or seven years and then turn them in to be recycled for a new one. I guess Im just kinda fed-up with all the new technology out there. I could rant on this for hours but I'm not gonna. JM2$W
Gregg

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Don't get me wrong I'm not a big fan of Billy boy either. I looked high and low for a laptop with XP on it but couldn't find one. Hell two of my systems here still have Windows 98 on them LOL....

OlBoy

I never had a computer with windows xp. I just bought a new computer with vista and so far I like it very much. It was a little confusing for me at first but after a week or so I got use to all the new stuff.

mb523

I run Vista Business Edition on my desktop machine and love it! Runs faster than XP and most of my programs work just fine with it!

The idea of having half a dozen different systems for different tasks makes no sense to me. In order to do everything you can with all the versions, you would need 20 PCs running all the different variations.

That's what I like about Mac OS. One version does it all.
cool.gif

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Not sure what you mean by needing different systems for different tasks LOL... Maybe the system you were using was more of a problem than the version of Windows. Or could it be operator error LMAO....

Anyway I'm still happy with Vista here. I wouldn't run out and buy it but it works well and is very stable on my Toshiba laptop.

GarageBuilt

I had the Windows Vista Home Premium installed in my 2 or 3 year old Inspiron / 1501 made by Dell. I 'm not much on P/C. But its bad fast & I love it. W.V.H.P has been installed for 5 months now with no problems. But now when I make a post alot of the time it will time out on me. And I can’t type any faster; I have already learned how to type with two fingers. Can this be fixed?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The timing out sounds more like a internet connection problem. Are you using a router? If so what brand and model?

GarageBuilt

This is on my laptop, & it is a wire less connection coming off of my wife’s main P/C. So yes it is on a router. Correct??? ATT 2- wire.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I've never configured a 2wire router but there should be a setting in the routers config screen for keeping the connection alive. I'll do a little searching and see if I can find some info on your setup.

StreetGlide

Hello,

Please don't take this wrong. I am sitting here as calm as can be, very relaxed, enjoying the afternoon. MICROSOFT SHOULD STICK VISTA WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE!!!!!
puke.gif
(same thing I told President Carter to do with all my Vietnam metals and ribbons when I sent them to him)

Not upset at all. Perfectly calm. It's a wonderful day. It's five o'clock somewhere, so..........

Anyone that has used Vista's EXCEL version 2007 has to agree with me or they are way-out toward "Geeksville"
(Can you believe my wife said that "sometimes" I am not flexible?)

Oh, this Dewars is sooooo good! I think I'll have another one before at get back to all those pivot tables and graphs.

Have a great afternoon!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Here's a article from Micro$oft about a similar problem to yours. Do you have the problem when the laptop is pluggen into 110v or only on battery power. It may be your power saving settings. This article gives instrutions on the settings to use.

Terrence40

I bought a new laptop with Windows Vista preinstalled but I don't want Vista at all. There is no data on the laptop as it is brand new. I would like Windows XP but couldn't find a new laptop with XP on it... so I got a Windows XP Home Edition disc and bring it to PC world so they can downgrade it for me. But I have been told it can't be done. Are they lying? What can I do?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Windows XP isn't really supported anymore so it may be that there's no drivers available for some of the hardware on your new laptop. Before trying to install XP do a internet search for windows xp drivers and your laptop make and model and see what you can find.

I have 2 systems here with Vista and after disabling all the extra security "features" it's just like XP. I've been running it for 3+ years on my desktop and laptop without any problems at all.

Claudine22

Windows Vista is an operating system released in several variations developed by Microsoft for use on personal computers, including home and business desktops, laptops, tablet PCs, and media center PCs.
Windows Vista contains many changes and new features, including an updated graphical user interface and visual style dubbed Aero, a redesigned search function, multimedia tools including Windows DVD Maker, and redesigned networking, audio, print, and display sub-systems. Vista aims to increase the level of communication between machines on a home network, using peer-to-peer technology to simplify sharing files and media between computers and devices.
Service Pack 2 for Windows Vista
Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows Vista is an update to Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. It provides customer and partner feedback-driven fixes into a single service pack, minimizing deployment and testing complexity. In addition to all previously released updates since SP1, SP2 supports new types of hardware, and adds support for several emerging standards.