Winch Location Discussion

capthook

Cartaholic
Hello Fellow Carters,
I am wanting to either mount a winch on my cart or truck bed to load said cart.
1) Mounting it on cart i would be able to have it anytime needed but how often needed.
2) Making a removable mount for truck so I don't have the added weight to the cart.
O.K. a little background Cart is used at campground in Ohio relatively flat some off road some street, But wanting to bring home in winter.
Also would like to be able to load into other trucks to go to Pigeon Forge TN for Rod Runs and different events.
I can see pros and cons with both set-ups, but if I asked 100 people how to peel a banana I would probably get 75 different answers and that is exactly what I'm looking for.
Advantages? Disadvantages? Concerns? Thoughts? Idea's?
Thank You for your feedback because i know there are not any right or wrong answers, just different thoughts and opinions.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'd probably mount it on the golf cart you never know when it will come in handy. If you plan on hauling other carts or ATV's in the truck then it would be nice mounted in the bed, My vote is to mount it on the golf cart. :twocents:

capthook

Cartaholic
Great HRC I like and understand thank you for your input , that's cool but since i have you on here and totally respect your knowledge can you give me a reason why leaf springs go to 09 on txt gas see below, wouldn't they be the same because I cant see them making two different chassis. I have a couple sets going off on auction and one set fits Club Car Ds and another set says they fit Ezgo 1996-09 what do you think. Thanks Brother, Mike ( mine is a 2016 EZGO Txt Gas)

Ezgo txt (1996-09) golf cart rear heavy duty leaf springs + bushings (2)

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'm not sure what changed on the EZGO gas cart rear suspension but the parts manual shows a different part number for 2010 and newer rear leaf springs.

capthook

Cartaholic
I guess if I can get them cheap enough maybe we can figure it out with measurements, because I cant find anything that says they wont fit except for lettering on a box

bandaidmd

get some short sections of reciever hitch tube(1 1/4) and put one one the front and rear of cart. Make or buy one of the winch mounts that plug into the square tube and you have one winch thats portable.

capthook

Cartaholic
Update i installed the winch today, I put a winch plate from harbour freight 4.99 and bolted it to the front axle with stainless fasteners and i picked the winch up from goodwill it was a brand new badlands 2500 lbs with wireless remote for about 26.00 so all together about 38.00 total. I think it will be fine to pull the cart up into the bed of the truck. I want to thank everyone for your comments and help, Respectfully Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0865.jpg
    IMG_0865.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0867.jpg
    IMG_0867.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0868.jpg
    IMG_0868.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0869.jpg
    IMG_0869.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0871.jpg
    IMG_0871.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 21

bandaidmd

looks good and a heck of a deal. I would add a heavy piece of angle or some sort of gussett to reinforce under that mounting plate rather than just hanging it off the two bolts. A straight pull would prob be ok but a downward angle (like pulling it up a trailer ramp) will prob bend it.

capthook

Cartaholic
All wiring needed came with the winch itself, as you can see i attached the wireless control box to the 2 brackets that held the front cover on and ran the wire along the left side with factory wiring from ezgo and right up to the battery, really easy

As for first question it is a 1/4 inch plate and since it probably have more of an up pull and I will only use it probably twice a year i was just going to see how it reacts to the first load before i commit to more gussets but i see your concerns and i thought about that also. I will update when i bring it back home later this month and post results.
Thanks bandaidmd

capthook

Cartaholic
Used winch the first time this weekend and it worked great. All I did was use a big ratchet strap and open truck doors and went around the cab with ratchet inside cab so it would not hit back glass,Hooked winch cable to it and pulled it right up in the truck, What's nice is this way i did not have to install anything in the bed and i now know i can use this set-up on just about any truck. also installed a screen door spring and ring to hook cable onto so that way it serves 2 purposes 1) keeps winch cable tight 2) keeps hook from bouncing around and getting torn up. Hope my Fellow carters find this helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_0876.jpg
    IMG_0876.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0878.jpg
    IMG_0878.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 15