Which gear ratio in EZGO?

jtweet

I need some help deciding on which gear ratio to go with..... i was hoping someone had done the same swap I am looking to do. I have a 24HP Honda w/ cold air intake and a header, running 25" tall tires in a 2000 EZGO TXT. It's street legal in Cali (or at least it was at one time) and I primarily drive on the road but occasionally take it to the desert or sand dunes. I can decide on the 8:1 ratio or the 6:1 ratio...........any suggestions?
dazed053.gif
dazed053.gif

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Welcome to the forum.
thumbup.gif

Cool set up, but what speed do you want and more importantly, is it a 4 pass.?

MrWicked

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
8:1 gears but you will loose alot of bottom end, running those 25" tall tires....

who did the honda kit on your cart?
what clutch you running in the honda?

if you do the gear change and not happy with the bottom end you can play with the clutchs to help it

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
6:1's with 4 peeps will be slow outta the hole and gutless on hills. A 28 deg driven clutch would help and you should be able to run 35+. 8:1's would be a lot better, but you would have to run the Honda @ 5k + to hit your target speed.
twocents.gif
Not sure the Honda would hold up on long stretches of wot.
Nubs could probably help ya with that.
thumbup.gif

jtweet

The cart was put together when I bought it....but it looks like it was done by Terra Toyz in AZ. it has a Strectch Plastics engine cradle with a 28 degree driven clutch and a Comet 489? primary. MrWicked, what can i do to the clutches to help out??? PS I saw you guys out at the Sand Sports Show, nice booth, How did it go?

MrWicked

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
thanks for stop by at the show...

you need to see what shaft size is on the honda.... a bigger front clutch will help the revs...

with a 1180 clutch stock rear clutch 23" tall tires 4500 rpm on a 24 hp honda should run 30 mph on stock gears....which are 12:1

if you do the gear change are you installing them or a shop???

you can change the rear clutch to the stock 36 degree will help a little...

jtweet

I'll have to check the shaft size when I get home, I'm not sure if it's a 1" or 1 1/8". I'm doing the swap myself, I've got it all apart and parts are on order. I'm leaning towards the 8:1, because going from a 12:1 to 6:1 sounds pretty dramatic.

MrWicked

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
well if you keep the 489 comet and the 28 the 8:1s might be ok... if you had a tach would well letting us know what rpm your running

jtweet

I just got all the parts in, I'm going to start to put it back togeher tomorrow. Stand by for pics and details
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

mtwain69

Just remember that with the bigger tires, that changes the gear ratio considerably. I have an EZ-GO with the 23 Vanny, rev kit, HP cam and headers. I put 6:1 gears in, but with the 23's, the ratio is really 8:8.1. I have no problem getting out of the hole with 4 peeps, top end is 45

mtwain69

I have a 23hp Vanny with rev kit, 23" tires and 6.1 gears, mostly driven on street. It came with headers and new drive clutch from Cart Parts Plus and I'm doin 46mph at 5100 rpm. You can run these motors all day long at 4500 rpm as long as you put in the rev kit. Just remember when you go larger than stock...18"... on tires, your final gear range also changes. On a 6.1 with 23" tires, mines turning at approximately 8.8/1, so with the hp you have I'd go 6/1. Shoots out of the hole no problem and reaches top in very quickly, and it's a 4 seater and weighs 1220# !!!