What Year Is This Harley Davidson Golf Cart?

bunyan

What year is this Harley Davidson golf cart? Helping a buddy with his cart and we're unsure of the age. Can someone help us out? Also, we had the carb apart to clean and there's a spring on the needle and seat I've seen before. We're not sure of it's function, we assume it's to help hold the float open. The cart has good spark and fuel is getting to the cylinder housing. We pulled the air filter off when turning it over and it pukes out fuel from the carb, does this mean the needle and seat are gone?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Does it have 3 wheels or 4 wheels?
The spring on the float helps keep the needle preloaded and also helps to keep the floating from bouncing around. Have you done a compression test on the Harley

bunyan

The compression is 90 or better. That's what my 79 is sitting at. When turning it over its spits quite a bit of fuel out of the air intake

3 wheels with the chrome steering bar

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Is the serial number 12682? It's hard to tell looking at the picture.

90 lbs of compression is low. It should be around 120 psi. Usually once they get under 90 psi compression they either quit running or don't run very well.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
OK it's a 1982 Harley Davidson D3 model.

As far as the gas blowing out of the carburetor it could be the needle and seat or the float adjustment. It could also be crank seals?
Does the cart run at all? I'd double check the carburetor to make sure you have the float set properly. Make sure the needle and seat is clean and the rest of the carb is clean.

bunyan

Thanks for all the info. Turned out I put the spring on the float in wrong as well as the air mix needle wasnt set right. My buddy set it to 2 turns and she runs like a champ with 90psi compression.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
No problem your welcome.
The Harley Davidson golf carts usually run ok until they get under 90 psi on compression.