Weeping battery and voltage questions

FBJR

Got a 93 CC with a 48v system and 36v in batteries.

All the batteries show good voltage even after a couple weeks of sitting after the charge. And it had not been charged for about a year prior. In fact, until I cleaned the terminals, it wouldn't take a charge!

All the batteries show 6.1 to 6.2 volts after sitting, so that looked good. But, I got a 100amp load tester at good ol HF to do some more checking and found all the batteries but 1 held just in the upper "yellow" under load.

That "1" battery falls flat under load. I mean DEAD!!!!

So I believe this and the 48v motor accounts for the slower speed.

Another battery that tests OK, seems to "weep" a little from the filler area. Otherwise it is OK under load too.

So, I figure to replace the 1 battery for sure. Even though these are Trojan 105s I was thinking of a Sams 6v cart battery for the one. If the quality is a little lower, it should match the others for some time still.

Is my thinking sound here? What about the weeping battery?

I may upgrade to 48v later, but that means a charger too. And both are not in the budget just yet.

THX

OlBoy

I would bite the bullet and buy 6 new batteries. 6.1-6.2 volts is low for a fully charged 6 volt battery. They should read around 6.5 volts even after sitting if they aren't used after charging. I would either get 8 volt batteries to give the 48 volt motor the power in needs or look for a 36 volt motor. You won't ever be happy with a 48 volt motor running on 36 volts.
As far as the cell thats "weeping" is that cell over full? Take a look at the rubber seal for signs of damage.

FBJR

Yeah, I thought of just going to 48v but the batteries and the charger are just a little to much right now. I feel that is where I will go in the long run.

As to the weeping battery, it does that when not used or charged for several days.

As the batteries have not been charged for 2 weeks now and had not been charged at all for at least a year prior. The 6.2v is not so bad and may get a little better after a few cycles.

THX

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
How old are the batteries. You can check the age of the Trojans by looking at the letter and number on the negative posts Letter = Month Number = year. Replacing the bad battery should help quite a bit but don't expect it last as long as it should. Like Olboy said you're going to take a big hit on speed and torque with the 48 volt motor running on 36 volts even with 6 new 6 volt batteries. Replacing the bad battery will make a big difference from where your at now. As to how long will depend on the condition of the other 5 batteries...

FBJR

The other batteries seem OK and a few more cycles could help.

I found a local CC dealer who will let me pickup a 6v off the recycle pallet. Just need to bring my load tester and get a decent one.

Later, I will replace the whole set for sure, probably going to 48v.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I think the used battery is your best bet as far as keeping the pack balanced. Let us know how things work out...

FBJR

Will do, and I like this forum much better than BU so far.

I see alot of the same names
wink.gif

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Thanks!!
cool.gif

The main goal of this forum is to be able to freely give honest information good or bad, members helping members. We encourage posting links, reviews and anything else that may help others. Hopefully it will help the members and guests here to make the best decisions on purchases, get reliable technical help and make a few friends along the way...