warm solenoid

kangolfer

I have a 98 western 36 volt cart. kkI have been told that the solenoid should not be warm or hot after running after 15 minutes or so. Mine is very warm after a couple miles. will this effect the way the cart runs.
wallbash.gif

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

Warm is ok. Hot could mean the solenoid has worn contacts. Or you could have a bad cable or connection. If you replace the solenoid go with a heavy duty like a White Rodgers 586.

kangolfer

Thanks for the quick reply, i guess i am o.k. The cart is very slow gaining speed and going up moderate hilly streets, was hoping this was part of the problem. motor has been reworked by Plum Quick and didn't seem to help. Thanks again,great forum

kangolfer

No, none that i felt, everything was cool except the solinode. I talked to chuck at emp. is why contacted you guys. emp looks like a good source of info. also

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I highly recommend EMP to anyone that asks about having a motor reworked. Chuck is a super nice guy and knows his stuff with DC motors...
twocents.gif

kangolfer

He is a great guy and willing to help when he can. He is the one that said warm was not good, guess i just wanted a second opinion. was talking to him abot the low torque and he suggested checking for warm cables and solenoid

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Warm is ok hot is bad and no heat at all is best. A HD solenoid would eliminate the solenoid heating up as long as all your cables and connections are good. It's a cheap upgrade and well worth it.

dougmcp

I have some doubts that a solenoid will cure your problem, it sounds to me like a bad battery or cables/connections.
What speed do you get out of this cart now?

kangolfer

speed is not my problem, torque is. the cart is fast enough but will not accelerate fast enough and slow down drastically going up hills.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'd replace the rest of the cables with 4 gauge. If the solenoid is getting hot I'd replace it with a White Rodgers 586 along with the new cables.