Walking speed in grass, please help!

Rob_P

So I picked up a not running 02 Club Car with fe290 for 400 and it only runs at walking speed in grass. The spark was erratic at best so after removing the ground on the limiter it started and ran. I was getting a cherry red exhaust so I assumed I was running lean, Plug electrode was white as well. I installed new lines, filter, and pump but electrode still white. I added a new carb and now no more cherry red but still about the same very little power. When I’m in maintenance mode I can get full travel out of the belt from both pullys but when weight is applied to the cart it doesn’t have enough oomph to get into the power band and the belts all the way which results in low low end power and no top end speed. I have checked for air leaks and have none, checked valve clearance and compression is 150 exactly. Any other ideas?

Rob_P

So while riding the belt does achieve full smooth travel or close to it when on flat hard surface....eventually. Just seems like there’s no power to make it happen. And thanks for the welcome!

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Did it run better speed/torque wise with the old carb? many cheap imported carbs never work right:twocents:

Rob_P

Did it run better speed/torque wise with the old carb? many cheap imported carbs never work right:twocents:
It ran essentially the same, maybe slightly better with the new one. New observations, when cold has absolutely no power, after a long full throttle run it would act as if starving for fuel and partially choking would improve slightly. Full choke completely starves the motor and cause intake hose to collapse.

Rob_P

While in maintenance mode it will rev up just fine and fully actuate the cvt and then governor kicks in and maintains. It just has no power to get up to rpm with weight.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
What color is the plug now? no blockage in the pickup line in the tank? either its not getting gas or maybe the exhaust can't get out. I would pull the exhaust loose and try it just to eliminate the possibility its plugged for some reason:twocents:

A cherry red mufflers are not a common problem so somethings up with that.

Rob_P

The muffler no longer gets cherry red, I’m not sure why it’s acting as it’s starving for fuel. I’ve pulled the hose going into the carb and more than enough fuel is pumping out. I even pulled the gas tank vent just to rule that out and same issue. The plug has a white electrode with a sooty black ring.

Rob_P

Looks exactly like the one labeled optimal

Attachments

• E5804C15-11DE-4E4F-8CC4-0A2B20341D61.jpeg
    E5804C15-11DE-4E4F-8CC4-0A2B20341D61.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 7

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Well there was a member a few weeks back that had odd running problems on a club car and a new coil supposedly fixed it. I'm out of things to try, unless the timing is off. If the key on the flywheel is sheared it would cause those problems

Rob_P

Yeah I lied, I guess the glowing hot exhaust is back. Lifted the seat after a long ride and right where it comes out the motor was cherry red. The previous owner put a coil in in an attempt to get it running. The exhaust definitely smells strong of fuel so maybe it is the timing. I’d just assume if the key sheared it would be too far out of wack and not run. I guess that’s the next step. I appreciate all the help bud