VOLTAGE REDUCER

RUGBYDRIVE

I have a 96 DS. It had lights when I bought it. I wanted to upgrade it with new lights, brake switch and turn signals. I purchased the kits and followed the schematics, all went well until I noticed that the signal light flashed very rapidly when you first put it on. If you shut it off and try again, it works fine. This happens consistantly.

I put a meter to it and found 16 volts. I thinking that is why the flasher is acting erratic. There is a factory voltage reducer attached to the rear frame rail. It seems to be attached to the ground side of the system, has two leads attached to a terminal block and the other lead from the opposite side, goes to an electronic box. I have my gounds attached to this terminal block.

How does the voltage reducer work off the ground end of a system? How can I tell if it is working properly? How do I get the system to 12 volts?

Thanks for your help.

I also want thank everyone for all the help. Just reading the topics from other people and the responses on the problems has been very helpful. So again, thanks to all.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I believe the factory reducer Club Car uses is a 16 volt to 12 volt reducer. It should be connected to two batteries (+ on one and - on the other) to get the 16 volts in.

You can put a volt meter on the wires coming out of the reducer and you should have about 12-13 volts coming out of the reducer going to your lights...

RUGBYDRIVE

Thanks for the input, but the voltage reducer is connected to a controller terminal that has the negative cable from battery 6. There are two legs that come off the other side of the voltage reducer that are connected to a terminal block to which I connected my ground wires. My positive leads come off the positive terminal of battery 5 (which had the positive terminal for the last set of lights). There is no positive connection to the voltage reducer.

How does the voltage reducer work?

Does anyone have a diagram for the connection of the voltage reducer?

Thanks

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Try checking the voltage at the flasher with the head lights on. If I'm not mistaken I think the factory Club Car voltage reducer doesn't reduce voltage until they have a load applied to them, which may explain why the flasher flashes fast at first. If you have 12 volts at the flasher when the head lights are on you could try a HD flasher.

I seem to remember someone else having the same problem.

I'm hunting for a diagram for the reducer...

RUGBYDRIVE

Thanks again for everything. I dropped in a HD Flasher and everything is working fine. A local CC mechanic suggested the same thing.

Have a great day!