Voltage Reducer for 2016 Club Car Precedent with 8 Volt Batteries

jacktravis808

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I can't find anywhere else. I have a 2016 Club Car Precedent 48 volt with six 8 volt batteriea and a light kit I want to install. I need a voltage reducer to go from 16 to 12v, but I can't find a definitive answer on what is right. Links and or explanations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You can go with a 16 volt to 12 volt reducer like this one from Golf Cart Tire Supply.
Or a 48 volt to 12 volt reducer like this one from Golf Cart Tire Supply.
The benefit with the 48 volt to 12 volt reducer is it uses all six batteries and will keep the charge in balance. Welcome to Cartaholics Golf Cart Forum. :hattip:

jacktravis808

Hi, thank you. I actually have the first one you linked, and it doesn't seem to do anything? I have it plugged in and my multimeter still reads 48v coming out of it.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The first one is a 16 volt to 12 volt reducer and should never have 16 volts going in or out. Where did you buy it? Is it plug and play like the one I posted the link to?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Where did you buy it? If it has 48 volts on the output it must be getting 48 volts input so it's either wired wrong or isn't the right voltage reducer for plug and play on a 2016 Club Car Precedent.

jacktravis808

I purchased everything from extremekartz.com. Currently I have the bucket harness plugged into the ground, and the front left battery, and the voltage reducer plugged in up by the key.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You must have 48 volts going into the voltage reducer and if it's a 16 volt to 12 volt reducer it should only have 16 volts going in from 2 batteries. If it has 48 volts input it's probably burnt up from over voltage. Did it come with a wiring diagram?

jacktravis808

It didn't, but burning it up is probably the most likely answer. Is there a way to test the reducer to see if it's burnt?