V-Twin Carburetor Upgrade

pbillyi69

Cartaholic
I'm sure that this has been asked and answered but i have found to many answers over the last couple of days worth of research on a V-Twin carburetor upgrade ..

I want to put a 2bb on my 18hp Briggs and Stratton Vanguard engine that has a rev kit. I am not sure now what will work and what wont. I have found a couple of intakes and lots of carburetors but not sure what is what now.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
The intake needs to be from a 20hp, you'll also need the elbow. I would go with a adapter from Performance V Twins and run a 30 mm Mikuni.

I'll come up with some part #'s in a bit.

Good to see You posting again:hattip:

SANY0278.jpg

pbillyi69

Cartaholic
is the manifold off of the 21 and 23 hp motors the same? they are the same block aren't they? and the most important question is do you have one that will work you would part with?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Only the vertical engines run carb to manifold, need the elbow so the carb sits horizontal. 21/23hp manifold is not the same, the blocks are.
Don't have one but used ones are out there.

pbillyi69

Cartaholic
ok thank you. i have seen lots of the mikuni carbs on ebay is there something specific i should make sure to have or not?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
A lot depends on what RPM the clutch engages from what i found, the accelerator pump gives her a pretty good shot at the start.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
yes but once you feel the difference you'll say it was well worth it, You can adjust the accl pump or disable it with the adjustment screw also.

pbillyi69

Cartaholic
that carb looks real nice it also looks like it takes up a lot of space....does it not fit in between the heads and have to go toward the outside

pbillyi69

Cartaholic
persistence pays off i have called every mower, tractor, and mower/tractor salvage yard in the country over the past couple of days and finally today found the intake manifold for less than eighty bucks only found three used ones total including the ones on ebay.............:thumbsup:

pbillyi69

Cartaholic
no kidding it was a lot harder to find a used one than i thought it would be...one of the tractor places said if i have one it will be 10 buck but it doesn't look like i have had one in five years....... doh