Upgrading Golf Cart to Electronic Controller

tomdropsem

I have a old golf cart with a Westinghouse 36v motor. It seems to basic with 4 poles. I would like to upgrade the cart with a more modern electronic controller .

Are Universal kits available for upgrading to a electronic controller? It would be nice to not have to guess about what is needed, or what will work. I would need everthing from the foot pedal to the motor.

dougmcp

There are no universal kits that I know of but there are lots of universal parts.
You can do most anything with a cart, it just costs $$.
What year and kind of cart is it and what do you want to do.

tomdropsem

Its a late 60's Pargo. It is missing everything in the battery compartment. I want to make it as dependable as possible for using at the river and races.

I can get a 2003 ezgo that needs batteries for $400. I would like to know if the electronics off of that one would work, or a proven set up to use?

dougmcp

If the EZGO is a series motor cart and not a PDS (Sepex motor) then all the parts from it should work.
Why not buy the EZGO and use it?

tomdropsem

Thanks for the information. How do I tell if it is Series or SEPEX?

I might just buy the ezgo because it is such a good deal.

I like the look of the Pargo car and want to do some customizing of the body, frenched tail ligts, 356 porsche headlights etc. It has a leaf spring suspension like an old hot rod with a tranverse leaf spring front and leaf spring rear. and lots of aluminum trim. I'm making a trunk lid for the back and removing the bag holders. I have mounted a reiver hitch and make a seat that mounts to the hitch.

dougmcp

A series cart has the F-N-R control below the seat where your right knee would be, a PDS (Sepex) cart will have a F-N-R rocker switch on the dash and a run/tow switch on the controller under the seat.
There are lots of performance and dress up parts available for the EZGO that are not for the old Pargo.

tomdropsem

I decided to put the Pargo back to factory. It seems like a simple system now that I have investigated it more.

I determined it was a 7 solenoid by the type of speed controller, the four inch junction box type.

I need:
7 Solenoids,
2 wire resistor and board,
cables,
batteries.
Most of which are available online.

Does anyone have a picture of a 2 wire resistor panel? This would help since I will have to make one.

Pargo_fan

Hey Tom. The resister board will look like the 3 speed type only with 2 coils on it. My pargo still has the long coil with the ceramic rod through it. It is located under the seat. Hang the board close as possible to the solenoids so as not to add resistance. I agree these carts have a cool look to them. I painted mine a mustang blue poly. Base and clear coat. For lights I used '39 Ford teardrop taillights with the blue dot (could'nt resist). Headlights are little chrome running lights. If cartaholics does not have all the parts check vintagegolfcartparts.com. You can get wiring diagrams there also. My current project is a '59 3 wheel pargo. it has tiller steering. I'm thinking of painting it '57 caddilac green, white trim.