Two Carts, Hope to Make One

Andrew Duke

I have two carts and hope to make one running cart. I have an older EZGO TXT that has bad rust on a few spots on the frame. I was planning to weld some new metal to the frame to repair it but I just got a new project. I got a Bad Boy Buggie that also needs some repairs. I was told that a Bad Boy Buggie is an EZGO fame with a slightly different body and two motors to enable 4WD. Upon looking at the BBB, the frame appears to be the same as the TXT. The BBB rear wheel was sheared off and what appears to be the spindle is broken in the axle. I am having a problem finding parts for the BBB and was hoping I could use the wheel/ axle assembly from the TXT to repair the BBB. The TXT is a 36v and the BBB is a 48v model. Does anyone have any experience with BBB repairs or any links to where I could get parts for the BBB? I really dont need a 4WD cart but the BBB frame and body is in better shape than the TXT so its easier to try and use parts from the TXT to fix the BBB. Any help is greatly appreciated.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Parts are hard to come by for the setup the older Bad Boy Buggie carts use. If it was my cart and the parts on the EZGO are good I'd take the electronics, drive train and suspension from the EZGO TXT and use them on the Bad Boy Buggie. Welcome to Cartaholics Golf Cart Forum. :hattip:

Andrew Duke

Thats my plan for now. First I need to get the broken axle spindle out of the axle shaft. Not sure if there is a locking pin for the spindle in the differential or if its just locked in with the bearing retainer clip and friction.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
There's no lock pin so if you remove the snap ring the axle and bearing will come out. If the axle is broken off flush with the housing you may have to rig something up to grab on to or pull the rear end pan and tap it out from that end.

Andrew Duke

Ok, so I was working on the cart a little today. I am going over the cart to see what works and what doesnt. I replaced a few corroded battery cables and two bad batteries. The cart charges up and turns on with no error codes on the FRK. However, when I press the gas, only the front wheels spin. I tested the rear motor and I do get between 9 and 12+ volts as the gas is pressed. I assume this means the motor is shot. I will look for a rebuilt motor but if its too expensive I'll use one motor. Now, is it better to move the front motor to the rear or keep it as a front wheel drive cart? I will never use it off road, and it will only be used on flat concrete and going up the occasional curb.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I doubt the motor is the problem. There's a series motor test in the resource section of the forum. Here's a link with the motor testing information.

Andrew Duke

I'm not familiar with the motor types, is my motor a series or shunt motor? The model is EP4-4001. From google, I think its a shunt motor.

Andrew Duke

I figured out the motor issue. The rear axle was spinning, I just didnt see it. But I was under the impression the rear wheels were the main 2WD wheels and the front only engage when 4WD is selected? This cart has a selector switch for 4WD and "Auto." When in Auto, the front and rear spin same as 4WD. Anyway, I think I will be able to get the broken axle out. I removed the transaxle cover and was able to push the axle out of the gears but not far enough to get anything to grab onto at the wheel side of the axle. Tomm. I will weld a bolt to the end of the axle and try and pull it out all the way. I just hope the axle on the EZGO TXT is the same as the BBB.

Andrew Duke

Got the axle out and the EZGO axle was an exact match. Got the "new" axle in and the diff. oil changed. Probably need to replace the disk brakes since they are very rusted. Anyone know if the EZGO disk brake system will work on the BBB?

Andrew Duke

I put the tires back on tonight to take it on a little test ride just to see how it ran. It ran pretty well but I know I need to replace the passenger side CV axle. Does anyone have a part number or part equivalent of this part?

Andrew Duke

No, I do not have long travel struts. The front axle looks like a rear axle since it has a motor on it. It has a differential and the CV axles are inside what looks like a cube, probably to protect them from brush and rocks etc.