Trouble Getting EZGO to Start

roundrightfarm

I'm having trouble getting my 1997 EZGO golf cart to start. When the engine is cold, it often requires turning the engine over for one of two minutes to get it to start. Once the engine is warm, it then starts much more quickly. Let it cool down though and the start time goes way up again.

This cart is very well tuned. It has the carb and fuel pump recently replaced, along with new plugs, fuel and air filters. I've adjusted the valve lash to .005" and have 130-140 psi compression in each cylinder.

One clue to the problem might be that the cart seems to start more easily if the throttle pedal is in just the right position, which is slightly depressed. When we first got this cart, I remember starting it by pulling out the choke and flooring the throttle. Now, we fiddle a lot with the choke and with the throttle pedal, looking for the sweet spot and after some time, this eventually works. It is almost as if the engine needs more choking of the air than the choke can provide, so you have to get the throttle valve in the carb involved, (by barely depressing the throttle pedal).

I'm hoping these symptoms point to something obvious. Any advice is appreciated

Nubs

Cartaholic
Welcome:hattip:
Low compression sounds like the problem, 180 lbs is the factory number. Anything under 150 will cause cold starting issues, did you hold the throttle butterfly all the way open with your hand when you tested the compression?

roundrightfarm

Thanks,
No I didn't hold the throttle open. Will not having it fully open change the compression reading?

What are the next things I should check out to take to determine how to increase compression?

Nubs

Cartaholic
Yes it can affect the reading, try it again wide open, then squirt some oil in the cylinders and test again. If the numbers go up that will tell you the rings are bad but if the numbers do not change much then the valves are bad. those engines are known to have intake valve problems.