TOTAL DISASTER

csupueblo45

Me and my friends are a bunch of college students who go to CSU pueblo, in colorado. We got a golf cart from our property manager. It is a 1991 cub car ds gas. Well at least thats what it say on the serial. When you open up the seat you find 6 brand new 36v trojan 150 batteries all great. The motor and all is randomly put together but works a little so we put some time into it and it ends up running, we are excited... then two days later after it is charged the resistor coils turn a bright orange color..does anybody know why? then the brakes stop working....dont know how to fix it.. then the key switch is not even needed to run it...this thing has been a pain in the you know what and we are wondering if we should scrap it and make some beer money or have some fun trying to fix it.. what does everyone recommend? any one have any help they can offer us? Thanks

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

From what you describe you have a bad solenoid. That will cause the coils to heat up and the cart to run with the key off.

We need a little more info on the brakes. Does the pedal go to the floor? Could be a bad brake cable or just need an adjustment.

csupueblo45

the pedal does go to the floor it acts like it wants to stop but wont. there is loose bolt on the engine does that contribute to any of the problems? or bad wires? cuz the wires seem shot.

Pimp Daddy

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
Guys...
tip.gif
Unless you really need the cart.....
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
The beer money sounds GREAT...
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif
twocents.gif

shadowman

just pull the rear wheels and take a look the brakes are real simple to do............as for the resistors getting hot while that is there job when driving slow to disapate heat so they will glow red thats normal..............i agree you have a stuck solenoid and you just need to figure which one.............its a 30 dollar problem so don,t get bent yet...............if cart runs and all it needs is a little work and a solenoid theres nothing at all wrong with that...............keep in mind even when you get it fixed if your not driving it wide open those coils are gonna glow red thats normal...........................................
cool.gif

dougmcp

These resistor carts are the preferred option for slow winter driving, kinda like a seat heater....
rotflmao.gif

Looks like we're all in agreement on the solenoid.
thumbup.gif