Torque Issue

84ezgo

I have an 84 EZGO 36v that I just converted from resistor to a controller. I got the controller setup out of a 90's model, complete controller, pot box, solenoid and F&R switch setup. I hooked everything up, bought brand new trojan batteries, bought brand new HD solenoid and changed all #6 cables to #4 cables ( all cables, not just the battery cables. I took the motor out had it checked and cleaned ( new brushes and brush holder) at a shop. After installing everything it ran good for a little while and then lost torgue. Lost it to where it will not climb over the edge of my concrete driveway 3" at most and to where you have to help it get started in the grass. Before it would almost spin the tires in the grass. I can unhook the battery cables overnight when I lose torque and hook them up the next day and have torque again. I have tested the pot box ( 0 to 5k smooth), Tested and load tested batteries ( 38.7v after full charge, still in break in period). I have taken the F&R switch off and cleaned ( Contacts looked great). The only thing left is the controller. Could this be the problem? Just trying to make sure I have checked all other possible problems before dropping $400 on a new controller. I forgot to mention that it runs fine once you get going just no torque.
wallbash.gif

84ezgo

Thanks for the input. I am thinking the same thing. I will post the outcome with the new controller when I get it. Thanks again.

gornoman

The rear drive axles have splines on the ends that the hub/brake drum slides over. These hubs can strip out and free spin. If one of them strips the cart might still move forward, but the torque will disappear.

Remove rear hub caps and observe the center of the axle. If the axle turns and the hub doesn't, that side is stripped and a new hub is required. Check both sides of the cart.

BadToTheBone

A 84 ezgo doesnt have a splined brake drum it has a drum like a car. 84ezgo says it runs good if he unhooks a battery cable overnight so it must be electrical.
dazed053.gif

84ezgo

Hey guys, it's not the hubs it is definetly electrical. New controller is ordered, but going on vacation and can't install until Monday. I will post the outcome as soon as I install it.

84ezgo

Update! Just replaced the controller last Friday. Everything seems to be great now. Took it to the hunting woods Monday and rode it all day with no problems (I was not easy on it either). Thanks again for the help.