Top Speed

kbrehbay

What is the top speed I can expect from this cart? The cart is stock without any performance upgrades. The batteries are good (I have tested them with a volt meter and a load tester). Is there any "speed chip" upgrades available for this model?
Ken

dougmcp

Not trying to step on Mr Wicked's toes here but all Ezgo golf carts from 1991 are TXT's.

It is either a series cart (series motor) or a PDS (sepex/shunt motor). Stock speed is about 12-14mph for either cart.
The series cart cannot be sped up without a change in the gearing, motor or voltage.
The PDS cart can be changed by the addition of a $5 ebay chip.
Your cart is one of these:

EZGOmodels.jpg

MrWicked

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
doug thanks for the pic post thats great stuff and you are right and your not stepping on my toes....

but 94 to and up

if it has the stock body and no stickers removed if its a PDS it will say so on the side and a series cart will say TXT

and i though from 91 to old style 94 they were call x444 not txt until new body style in 94...

im also just asking thanks for the great info doug

kbrehbay

Doug and MrWicked,

Thanks for the help
thumbup.gif
but I'm still a bit confused as to what my cart is.

The Manuf Code is "M101" so I believe it is a 2001.

It has 4 bolts on the steering column where it bolts at the floor of the cart. Does that make it a 2001.5?

The forward/reverse lever is beside your knee.

The controller cover does not look like the example provided by Doug for a series cart. It resembles the DCS Regen Model but cannot seem to locate a tow/run switch.

I would attach a photo but I haven't figured out how to do that on this site.

dougmcp

I screwed up when I was typing and mistyped 1991 for 2001.
wallbash.gif

I didn't post anything on Marathons or Medalists because it wasn't applicable.
I'm telling you, getting old is a b*tch.
Sorry for the misleading stuff and thanks for the correction.
thumbup.gif

Have a super weekend!!

dougmcp

If you have the F-N-R switch down by your knee and no run/tow switch on the controller cover it is a series cart.
The info I posted does not show a controller cover for the series cart but it looks the same as the other 2.
To post a photo set up a free account at a site like www.photobucket.com then post your pics to that site and copy the URL address of your photos and paste into your post.

dougmcp

To post a photo set up a free account at a site like this one: photobucket Then post your pics to that site and copy the URL address of your photos and paste into your post.

kbrehbay

Thanks, At least now i know what I have and I'm getting about 12 mph. I just finished customizing the cart but I'll start another post with pics to show the process.

dougmcp

Cheapest way I know of to get it up to 18mph +/- is to have D&D rewind your motor for more speed. They are a sponsor here, cost should be in the $250 range.
If D&D doesn't rewind, there are others for about the same costs.

kbrehbay

Doug,
If I decided to have the motor rewound would I need to upgrade the contoller? What about the F/R switch?
Ken

dougmcp

That's not a simple question.
Any time you place more demand on the motor you require more amperage, good batteries and good cables.
A lot depends on what you are doing with the cart, many have rewound motors and done nothing else with good results.
The recommendation is if the cart is lifted with larger tires an upgrade to 4ga cables and a 400 amp controller works best. If you regularly carry passengers with a rear seat, the above upgrade is recommended. If you have both large tires and carry passengers, the upgrade is necessary.
The F-N-R switch should be fine.

kbrehbay

Doug,
Thanks again for your help. At present the cart is not lifted and not planning on it. It may get a rear seat inthe future. Wheels/tires will be upgraded to 10" in thr future when I save up the money.