Tool you can't live without

Trock03

Guys,

I recently got into the golf cart game when a guy I know down the street offered to sell me his 93 DS for $200.00. He said it needed batteries but I felt like it was too good of a deal to pass up. I'm a DIYer so this seemed like a great project as the cart is still in stock condition.

I put new batteries in it the same day and it runs fine. I can't find any mechanical issues with it. With some knowledge I've gained from this forum I've ordered a lift, tires/rims, and heavy duty leaf springs. Will eventually do a rear seat and probably a motor upgrade to handle all the extra weight.

My garage is loaded up with all kinds of tools but I'm a little short on the electrical side of things. What tools can you cart mechanics out there not live without?

Thanks,
TC

Glen Batchelor

Long reach 45° pliers. Cotter pins.. I HATE cotter and clevis pins especially when they can't be seen due to rust scaling or you can't reach them with slip joint pliers. I use those plies all the time on the linkages and spindles.

Another tool that is always out is a combination 9/16" 1/2" ratcheting closed-end wrench. I need to pick up a few. It's kinda like the 10 and 12mm sockets on my cars. Can't have too many extras.

TMo

A good pair of self adjusting wire strippers and ratcheting wire terminal crimpers make a big difference when making cables and rewiring.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 7.51.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 7.51.55 AM.png
    192.1 KB · Views: 13

Glen Batchelor

A good pair of self adjusting wire strippers and ratcheting wire terminal crimpers make a big difference when making cables and rewiring.

I used to use self-adjusting strippers but I found them too eager on smaller wire and would either rip out conductors or knick them enough for them to break. I have a pair of Ideal Stripmaster's as well and I rarely use them anymore. I've switched back to a good set of manual ones from Ideal, not the cheap-o strip/crimp combo ones, and a sharp pocket knife. A must-have crimper for harness making (coming from cars and ATVs), IMO, is the Delphi WeatherPack terminal crimper. I use them for all of my 28-10awg terminals. There's 2 sizes of round wire seal dies, 3 sizes of W dies, a single C die and a flat die on the end. There's not much I can't crimp with that one too.

Glen Batchelor

The Delphi crimper looks worthy Glen. Thanks for info.
No prob! Have you ever had a problem crimping heat shrink sealing splices with that ratcheting model? I always have issues with whatever crimper I try on those. The die squeezes through the shrink material until the metal is exposed. It usually melts back together, but I would prefer it intact.

TMo

The Titan crimper will bite too deep if your not careful but does have adjustable crimping compression. With some trial and testing it does a good job on the heat shrink sealing splices. I just did the one pictured with the tool set at medium.
Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 9.32.52 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 9.36.16 AM.png

Glen Batchelor

Nice. That looks better than what the Delphi does on those. It tends to push the ferrule over as it crimps since there's one large contact area. May need to get a pair of those. Thanks.

Glen Batchelor

Yes. Band-aids. And in my case, steri-strips and hemostat gauze for before the urgent care trip. :rolleyes: I actually have sterile sutures onhand now after a recent late-night shower door ledge incident in the tiled master bath. The base of your big toe does not heal that easily after it is ripped open. :no:

golfcar2000

Cartaholic
Digital multi meter usually the first thing I grab, although the old analog meters works best on the older potentiometer cars for me. Load tester is well worth the money too.