Tire wear

Bismark

I have a 1997 EZ-Go with lift kit and 22x11x8 tires. The rear tires came with the cart (8 years ago) but I'm on my 5th set in the front. The wear is a 6 inch strip in the middle of the tire. Both edges have good tread & I keep check on tire pressure. I do drive on the road in the neighborhood.

Any ideas on problem & correction ? Think it might be a toe-in problem but unknown how to fix it.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If the center of the tire is wearing that's a sign of to much air pressure. You can check the toe and set it to about 1/8 inch toe in.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
22 lbs is to much for a off-road tire if you do a lot of driving on streets. What kind of tires are they. The front of these carts are much lighter than the rear so you can run less air pressure in the front. Try running about 10 -12 pounds in the front.

Bismark

The tires are golf-course rated with a very mild tread. The recommended pressure was 22 but I think I will try the lower pressure. These tires are showing cord after only about 10 months.

gornoman

10 months? That's crazy bad!

If the alignment was that far off you could see it with the naked eye! It's gotta be the tire pressure.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Whats the tire brand? Are the front and rear rims the same width?
A wider rim will help with the center of the tire wearing.

JRay

Cartaholic
Run the tires clean on a dirty dusty garage floor and see where the tires imprint, look at the dust marks on the tread and see if the tire is flat to the floor. Change the air pressure till you get it right. But set the camber first.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
There is no camber adjustment on a stock EZGO front suspension. What kind of lift do you have? If it's a block, drop axle or spindle lift theres no camber adjustment. Chances are it's the 22 lbs of air pressure on a narrow rim taking the center of the tires out that fast. If the camber was off you would be wearing the inside or outside of the tire. If the toe is off the center of the tire will wear much faster with 22 lbs of pressure. If you want to run high tire pressure you'll need to make sure the toe in is no more than 1/8 inch.
Do what JRay said and keep lowering the air pressure until the whole tread is making contact with the ground. A wider wheel will allow you to run a higher air pressure and still get good tread contact.

If you can, post a couple pictures of the front of cart so we can see your setup.

JRay

Cartaholic
Learn something new everyday, didn't know there was no camber adjustment on EZGO's.
tip.gif

gornoman

Solid front axle with stationary kingpins. If you look at it, there is nothing to adjust. The axle is either right, or it isn't.

Bismark

Took pictures of front end but could not figure out how to enter, but in doing so and in closer inspection, appears that their is just the rods going into a king pin as was noted.

Got new tires mounted today, will check tire pattern on floor and adjust tire pressure until whole tread is visible. Thanks for the help !! (now if I can just get these wheel bearings packed ).