Tight Steering after 6 inch lift install

Fisherob

Hello, I have an 2001 EZGO TXT and installed a 6 inch drop spindle kit and the steering is very tight after install. I'm I missing something. Steering was fine before the install. Could it be possible that the bolt that holds the spindle to the axle is too tight? When I loosen the bolt on both sides the steering gets looser. I watched videos on the install and it says to tighten the bolts. This doesn't seem right cause if I tighten then steering is really tight. What am I missing?

Patrick L

Cartaholic
Don't the spindle bolts have cotter pins [ or lock nuts] ? It sounds as if you are tightening them too tight. The tie rods may be at such an angle to also cause hard steering. Not all kits are created equal.

Fisherob

Yes the spindle bolts have lock nuts so I loosened them and it seems to work fine. I hate when instructions just say tighten all the bolts. I like when they say torque them. There is no guessing game then. Patrick thanks for answering my question.

Patrick L

Cartaholic
OK, good. Any spindle bolts I've seen only need to be snug. Up/down movement doesn't mean much. Axial movement should be small.