Takes No Charge...

jeffm47

I installed new batteries and run fine on level until batteries went dead . Not much power going uphill. Plugged in charger, and small white breaker reset button trips in about a minute. Also noticed (from day one) the red battery light stayed lit even with the key turned off. No disconnect on battery bank. Any suggestions? I tried a second charger, and got same results. Thanks, Jeff.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Hi and welcome to the forum.

What year is your cart? It sounds like it could possibly be the OBC (on board computer)

shadowman

what year and is it a 36 or 48 volt cart? need to know that 1st............................
cool.gif

jeffm47

Hello, I'm not sure what year it is, The cart came from my aunts ranch in montana, after she died. It must be at least 15 yrs old. I'm also not sure of the voltage, but has 6 batteries. I'll check it out and see if I can find year and voltage on cart. Stay tuned. Thanks, Jeff

jeffm47

I checked my cart, and its a 48v. The model # on the motor placard is:58C59JBS62518. The year code is:RMN N. Don't know what that all means, but its the only info I can find on the cart. Jeff

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Club Cars serial numbers are just under the glove box on the passengers side of the vehicle. The first two numbers (not letters) indicate the last two digits of the year of manufacture.

shadowman

ok, 1st 2 things you need to do are this.......get a volt meter and take voltage reading from each battery and post those #,s than if you can find another 48 volt cart and try the charger on another cart.........if the charger dosn,t work on another cart than we know its the charger.....if it does work than we know its in the cart..............could be as simple as batteries being to low for charger to kick on if thats the case real easy fix if not than we go from there......so try charger on another cart and get battery voltage #,s and post them........48 volt cart the charger has to read 36 volts or it won,t come on but we can bypass the low voltage sensor...............check all the water in the batts, fill with distilled wateronly as needed and only to 1/4 inch over lead plates............count the fill holes in each battery make sure there are 4 fill holes in each one.............check and clean or replace any battery cable your not sure about and i mean clean battery post and cable end real good........and tighten real well, if you have a red battery dash light that means you have a 1st generation OBC ( on board computer ) and that could be your problem.......but lets start with the 1st two suggestions i gave you and go from there............................................
cool.gif

jeffm47

Thanks for the tips, I'll get on that ASAP. The problem with checking the 2 chargers I have on another cart is, the only other electric cart in the stable, is a newer one that uses a different plug end. seems odd that both chargers act the same on the club cart. I'll post my results soon. Jeff

jeffm47

HELLO, i'M BACK TO POST RESULTS OF VOLTAGE: THEY ARE FROM LEFT TO RIGHT IN THE BATTERY BANK: 5.51 5.49 5.44 5.47 5.45 5.38 tHE YEAR OF CART APPEARS TO BE A 1997. CAN THE CART BE CHARGED ANOTHER WAY BESIDES THE CART CHARGER? JEFF

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Those voltages are way low. Are you sure they're 8 volt batteries? I've seen guys use a 12 volt charger on the individual 8 volt battery for about 15 minutes each to bring them up enough for the carts charger to turn on (I've never tried this).

shadowman

that will work what HRC just posted however don,t leave unattended and only charge like that for about 20 minutes each......that should bring batteries up enough for charger to pick it up........................................
cool.gif

jeffm47

Batteries are 8 volt, new, was full charged at installation, ran down to 5.50 volts, kicks off charger, cables/connections clean. Should I replace computer? Where to buy? Jeff

shadowman

the cart your having problems with......how many fill holes in the battery 3 or 4.......and is the charger end that plugs into the cart round or is it the one with 2 metel prongs.......i have to be honest i,m still not sure what year your cart is or what voltage......they only make 2 chargers one for 36 volt the other for 48 volt......48 volt charger will have a round end that plugs in and batteries will have 4 water fill holes............36 volt will have 2 prongs where it plugs into cart and 3 water fill holes per battery......lets get that clreared up 1st..................................................
cool.gif

jeffm47

Hello, the cart is 97, and is 48v. round charger plug. I'm pretty sure batteries have 4 fill holes.
i'll have to take a second look.

CartMechanik01

With the low voltage on the batteries the charger is going to pull a lot of amps causing the breaker to trip. I deal with this all the time, even on new carts. We usually have to charge them with a manual 48v charger untill the voltage is brought back up to the level that the auto. charger is charging at about 10 to 15 amps. Even with the manual charger it trips the breaker, but we just reset it over and over utill it stops triping. We have a 48v charger with jumper cables on it to hook up straight to the batteries that also helps out. I would try charging 2 batteries at a time with a 12v charger like stated above to bring the voltage back up to at least 7.5 volts per battery. If your auto charger still doesn't work after all of this this you either have a problem in the charger recepticle or the on-board computer.