Suggestions for the NGKRA

Pimp Daddy

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
Thought I'd start this thread so everyone could post their suggestions to the NGKRA.Please NO BASHING here.

My first suggestion pertains to the rules that are posted on NGKRA. Some of the rules are kinda' vague.There needs to be more specifics on the construction of roll bars, cages etc. If doesn't have to be pinpoint, but a range of the sizes of tubing and thickness.I think rule number 4 needs to be restated so that it does not contradict. First it states that a golf cart chassis MUST be used.In the same rule it also states that approved aftermarket chassis may be used.

Like I've said, these are only suggestions, not criticism. Let's strive to keep it positive.
pimp.gif

Here are the rules from the website:

The NGKRA 2010 rules

1. All participants must wear a helmet
2. All karts running faster than 9.99 1/8 mile must have roll bar and seat belt. Drivers head must be contained under roll bar
3. All karts running 9.49 or faster must have a cage that contains the driver in the event of a rollover and must have a 5-point sfi certified harness
4. All karts must run a stock style golf cart chassis, modifications allowed for roll cage, maximum wheelbase of 90”. Chassis width cannot be altered. Aftermarket components such as steering, suspension, brakes can be modified and used on such chassis. Approved aftermarket golf cart chassis allowed. See ngkra.com for approved manufacturers.
5. All participants in any NGKRA events must have competition number which is their kart number.
NGKRA Competition number must be visible on karts from the tower.
Each kart must have a spot to put their dial in on the kart
6. The NGKRA will not allow golf karts to race cars/trucks or motorcycles.
7. * New Rules and Rule Changes: NGKRA rules may be added, deleted and/or amended at any time by NGKRA. It is the participant's responsibility to stay abreast of all NGKRA rule changes that may affect the participant. All and any changes will be posted at www.ngkra.com under rules and on the NGKRA Golf Kart Forum under NGKRA rules. Any changes will be effective immediately upon publication.

* Only 4 wheeled carts will be allowed to compete in Super pro and Pro.

THE EXHIBITION CLASS

1. THE EXHIBITION CLASS WILL NOT RUN FOR POINTS WITH THE NGKRA.
2. VEHICLES MUST RESEMBLE A GOLF KART.
3. IT IS THE TRACKS DISCRETION WHETHER OR NOT YOU CAN PARTICIPATE.
4. ALL VENUES WILL NOT ALLOW PARTICIPATION.
5. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PARTICIPANT TO HAVE THE PROPER SAFETY EQUIPMENT FOR THEIR VEHICLE.
6. IT IS THE PARTICIPANTS RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP INFORMED OF SCHEDULE CHANGES

THERE HAS BEEN SOME CONFUSION WITH THE NEW NGKRA RULES....SEE BELOW

All karts must run a stock golf cart chassis, modifications allowed for roll cage, maximum wheelbase of 90”. Chassis width cannot be altered. Aftermarket components such as steering, suspension, brakes can be modified and used on such chassis. Approved aftermarket golf cart chassis allowed.

THE MAIN FRAME RAIL WIDTH CANNOT BE ALTERED, YOU CAN MODIFY A STOCK CHASSIS AS LONG AS YOU KEEP THE SAME STOCK WIDTH.

KART CLASSES

* SUPER PRO KART 0-9.49
* PRO KART 9.50-11.50
* SPORTSMAN KART 11.51 AND UP

ALL NGKRA POINTS EVENTS WILL RUN THIS FORMAT.

SOME NGKRA EVENTS WILL INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:

* HEADS UP
* QUICK 8
* FASTEST KART
* FASTEST V-TWIN
* FASTEST 48 VOLT
* FASTEST 72 VOLT

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
PD,

I moved this into The Pits and will keep it clean. This may be the best place to start trying to work out the problems that some people are having with the NGKRA rules.

Thanks,
HRC

Andy4639

4. All karts must run a stock style golf cart chassis, modifications allowed for roll cage, maximum wheelbase of 90”. Chassis width cannot be altered. Aftermarket components such as steering, suspension, brakes can be modified and used on such chassis. Approved aftermarket golf cart chassis allowed. See ngkra.com for approved manufacturers.

This is the understanding I have of it.

All karts must run a stock style golf cart chassis: The frame has to be a stock width, in other words if a club car frame is 48" [Guess] wide then if you build your own frame out of chrome molly it to has to be 48" wide. You can't make it any wider to accomadate more batteries or motor's.

You can extend it to 90" long to accomadate rollbars and steering components. If you can get more batteries and a bigger motor go for it.

You can have a complete custom frame if it meets all the rules that are governed by the NGKRA.

Right now the only people with a approved custome built frame is Dirty South Racing only because no one has asked for approval.

This is my take only, not talking for the NGKRA but what I have been disscussing with them this is basically it. They can answer for themselves.
I hope these past few days and with this thread we can get past the rest and move this sport forward. March is approaching very fast as in less than 31 days guys.
twocents.gif
yikes2.gif

Pimp Daddy

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
I know Rod had a question when the NGKRA was formed. He asked about the specifications for building his own cart chassis,but never received an answer.With his racing background,I'm sure if given the specs, he could build a killer chassis. If the specs were released, I feel sure that most folks would feel reassured.

Pimp Daddy

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
All karts must run a stock style golf cart chassis: The frame has to be a stock width, in other words if a club car frame is 48" [Guess] wide then if you build your own frame out of chrome molly it to has to be 48" wide.

Andy,
If you build your own frame is that considered a "custom" frame. These are some of the questions that most folks are asking.
pimp.gif

calllen9

The rules state a stock style modified chassis meaning take a stock chassis from ezgo, clubcar, yamaha ect and modify it by lengthing, adding a roll cage ect. this is something the average do it yourselfer can acomplish, roll cage specifications have not been levied yet. If your kart is running fast enough to need a cage and you are not comfortable building a safe cage you should seek professional advice. To many members already had karts built with cages all different diameters and wall thickness to make such a requirement this early in the game. As karts speeds increase in the future specifications will have to be implemented.

Aftermarket chassis' any manufacturer that will produce an aftermarket chassis' must have a minimum production run of 50 chassis' and be within specifications. The reason for this is to ensure that said chassis will be available to anyone wanting an aftermarket chassis' and no one person or group would have an unfair advantage.

calllen9

The rules state a stock style modified chassis meaning take a stock chassis from ezgo, clubcar, yamaha ect and modify it by lengthing, adding a roll cage ect. Any way you would like to modify it as long as the wheelbase does not exceed 90" and the stock frame width is not altered

An aftermarket chassis will be based off these same specs.

calllen9

The rules state a stock style modified chassis meaning take a stock chassis from ezgo, clubcar, yamaha ect and modify it by lengthing, adding a roll cage ect. this is something the average do it yourselfer can acomplish, roll cage specifications have not been levied yet. If your kart is running fast enough to need a cage and you are not comfortable building a safe cage you should seek professional advice. To many members already had karts built with cages all different diameters and wall thickness to make such a requirement this early in the game. As karts speeds increase in the future specifications will have to be implemented.

Aftermarket chassis' any manufacturer that will produce an aftermarket chassis' must have a minimum production run of 50 chassis' and be within specifications. The reason for this is to ensure that said chassis will be available to anyone wanting an aftermarket chassis' and no one person or group would have an unfair advantage.

StreetGlide

Need of clarification of frame, chassis and body. I got confused prior and still seeing what appear to be different use of terms that make me question what I am doing.

Chassis and Frame are the same, correct? So if I use a CC stock frame but feel to make it safe for motor size I'm using, like torque on welds, etc., it needs to be modified, I can't do it? (All EZGOs are out then?
rotflmao.gif
Ha! Just kidding guys!)

Bodies do not have to be golf cart bodies, just the frames/chassis? So, putting a completely AERO body on Golf Cart frame is legal?

Serious, not trying to start something, I am seriously concerned/confused I guess.

Also thought last time rules were modified, some of rules above were deleted? (Told you I'm confused.) I would seriously like to see one post that is 100% definitive.

dazed053.gif

Andy4639

PD,
the spec is the measurement not the materials used. Club Car uses aluminum where ezgo, Yamaha's are steel, the spec is the length and width of the chassis and frames whichever you perfer to call them. You can use any type of material just as long as it is the right width and length. Correct me if I'm wrong Chris.
twocents.gif

calllen9

The rules were modified to keep these builds golf kart based. There are not many rules to follow.
simply to accommodate everyone racing already.

1. use a golf kart chassis frame whatever you want to call it modify it any way you want except the frame width and wheelbase
2 if you run to faster than 9.49 1/8 mile put a roll cage on it
3 wear a helmet
4 have your number on your kart

Its pretty basic

Pimp Daddy

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
Andy,
So I can go to Lowes, buy some EMT conduit and a bender and build my frame??? This is what I'm trying to ask.

calllen9

Common sense must be used, Build a rollcage out of conduit probably not that smart but light for sure. but you could use the conduit to modify your stock frame
thumbup.gif

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
If your comfortable running emt to modify your kart, have at it. It's yer arse. You sign the waiver when ya enter the track. Does the NGKRA advise it, absolutely not... If you are that uncertain on what to use, then you need to have a fab shop help with it.
tip.gif
YOU HAVE TO START WITH A GOLF CART FRAME/CHASSIS.

Got-EZGO?

I would think if you were to stretch your chassis, then you would simply use the same material that the stock frame is built with, up to 90". If you are not sure, seek professional advise. If somebody is not sure what type of steel to build a complete chassis out of, seek the advice of a chassis builder. They will know, and if they don't, go somewhere else.
thumbup.gif

Pimp Daddy

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
Callen,
That's my point... If someone goes ultra light with no rules on specs... What's to stop them???

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
A Wall??? :rotflmao: Sorry, I couldn't resist. It's no diff. than car racing. The faster the car, the tougher the rules. You can sneak by any rules. If you screw up and wreck, you'll certainly wish you didn't skimp. We are keeping the rules basic. I don't know how to build rockets. When I show to the track with my rocket cart, you can bet I'll have done my homework on the building of a rocket. Point is, if ya don't have the know how to mod. your cart, seek help. We can't answer every variable. The NGKRA will answer every and any legitimate question involving the build of a cart.