Stuck

Yamamahopper

While taking a slow cruise one cool night the accelerator cut-out. I let off the accelerator and engaged the accelerator again. The cart responded. But about 30 seconds later the cart bucked quickly a few times. The accelerator was dead and I smelled electrical componets overheating for about 5 or 10 seconds. I pulled the speed controller and had it checked. It was bad and I installed a rebuilt one. Before I pulled the speed controller to have it checked I made sure my ignition and selonoid were functioning. I did this by turning the ignition on and listening for the the selenoid to engage. The soft thump confirmed it was.

There was a hitch in getting the speed controller out. The cable coming from the selonoid and connecting to the speed controller could'nt be removed. The nut and bolt were too rusty and fused together. I removed the seloniod end of the cable, removed the speed controller, then, sawed the cable to remove it from the controller box. I reinstalled the rebuilt controller and restored all the connections. When I turned the key the selonoid did not engage. When I removed the cable from the selonoid the post may have turned as the bolt encountered resistance fron rusty threads. So, I replaced the selonoid. It still will not engage. I dissconnected the harness from the ignition and put a matal screwdriver between the two contacts to try and determine if the ignition was functuioning. This may be a poor way to try and check the ignition. Still no selonoid engaging. Any ideas on why the selonoid will not function?

Yamamahopper

I own a 1998 Yamaha G-16E. Can any of you EZ-GO owners help me. Since replacing a blown speed controller my solenoid would not engage. It was in bad shape so I replaced it. It did engage before the controller replacement. The cart sat about a month. My batteries were usable but getting weak. I planned on replacing them after I resolved the electrical problem. After browsing some of the posts I noticed some componets may not work if the pack voltage is too low. I am assuming this is physics common to all electric carts regardless of brand and voltage. I have not charged the batteries yet for fear of blowing something. Could charging the batteries up fully possibly get the solenoid to function?

Yamamahopper

Well, snooping around in the EZ-GO forum payed off even though I have a Yamaha. To answer my own question...yes...low pack voltage can and apparently will prevent the solenoid from engaging. This can be a great place to get help if you dig a little. Thanks.

djlan99

I worked for Yamaha and just saw your post.

I will try to follow the yamaha electric cars as well as the others.

I have limited time and the electrics are few for yamaha.

Mostly the country clubs had them.