street legal in NC

svoltaire

I have a 2002 EZ GO that I have had for about 6 months. Purchased used from a local dealer with lift kit new body and new batteries. I am interested in finding out what it would take to make it street legal in NC. Not necessarily someone giving me a list but maybe a resource that can go to and get some information. As it is I get the list such as, windshield, windshield wipers. Is there going to be a minimum speed capability, brakes and where can I find out what the availability of these things are. Or frankly am I barking up the wrong tree and I should scrap the idea and save my money and buy something already built. Really looking for someone who has been there or knows someone who has who can help me not make too many screw ups. Thanks

Pitt

Don't know about NC but have heard that most states follow the DOT Guidelines. This is true for Florida where I got my 1991 Ezgo Street Legal a few months ago. I found it very easy. Called my county department of motor vehicles and they sent me the list and I pretty much just followed it and asked for advise I needed here on the form. One of the key things to do is be sure you save ALL of your reciepts. I purchased everything online mostly form Buggies Unlimited.
Windshield, Windshield Wiper (Manual $30 one meets the requirement), Motor upgrade from EMP worked great for 300.00 and I was able to keep my stock controller. Speed required mim.22mph--max 25mph. I hit 24mph. Added a side mirror and that was all I needed. Cart had headlights, taillights,brakelights, and turn signals.
Had it weighed and inspected and turned in paperwork with all reciepts, got insurance, license plate and recieved title from state about 2 weeks after inspection. My 1991 ezgo is now according to my title from the State of Florida a 2008 LSV.
I found it to be very easy and rewarding project and enjoy my cart each day. I drive it to work almost everyday and have to fight for it on the weekends with my wife and kids.

I would say go for making it Street Legal and enjoy it.
I forgot to mention an important requirement........seat belts!!

Good Luck......Pitt
thumbup.gif

svoltaire

Thanks for the response, I will persue as suggested, and will let you know how it goes.
Thanks again
Steve v