Street Legal Golf Carts

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I've been getting asked a lot lately about state and county laws on what it takes to make a golf cart street legal. The laws vary from county to county and state to state so I thought this would be a useful forum to discuss this in. Anyone with any information or questions on laws and requirements for your state can post it in this forum. I know a lot of members from different locations have checked the requirements for making your carts street legal and I would appreciate it if you can post any info on what you've found out. :)

Thanks.
HRC

gornoman

It might be a good idea if each thread was simply a state name. That way people could get right to the point for their location.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
That's what I was thinking. Either we can wait until someone with info starts a thread for each state or if someone wants to start 52 threads one for each state and a post that gives a brief description of what the thread is for. Something like Questions and Answers on making your cart street legal in (state). Any volunteers?

SonE63

That's what I was thinking. Either we can wait until someone with info starts a thread for each state or if someone wants to start 52 threads one for each state and a post that gives a brief description of what the thread is for. Something like Questions and Answers on making your cart street legal in (state). Any volunteers?
Hi guys, Texas requires
1) headlights, tail lights ,turn signals,mirrors Rear view and side mirrors. Triangular reflective slow moving signage on rear. Seat belts front and back (if you have back seat). Rear hand rail. So far that’s all I’ve found. Hope this helps!

whiteGIANT510

All states require the basic lighting head, tail,brake, blinkers, hazard. But California requires a windshield, rear and Sideview mirrors and the cart cannot go over 25mph. It cannot be driven on any roads with a speed limit over 30mph. Basically if its on the bottom line model of gem car its legal. But its California so once you have your plate you can do your upgrades. But don't get caught over 25mph

KTKelly

North Carolina varies by city.

Here in Oak Island, NC it's full lights (high and low beam), turn signals, brake lights, horn,seat belts, side rear view mirror, manual wiper, a VIN, an annual inspection (like with a car), and a licensed driver, unless you have a handicap placard, then there is pretty much nothing (they were grandfathered).

Myrtle beach, SC requires full lights, an annual permit, and you are not supposed to travel farther than two miles from home.

kurtbelyeu

Hi guys, Texas requires
1) headlights, tail lights ,turn signals,mirrors Rear view and side mirrors. Triangular reflective slow moving signage on rear. Seat belts front and back (if you have back seat). Rear hand rail. So far that’s all I’ve found. Hope this helps!

If the cart goes faster than 25 mph the slow moving emblem is not required.. also one additional item is required which is the Texas state Golf cart license plate.. available for about 15 bucks.

Lee Pedrick

I've been getting asked a lot lately about state and county laws on what it takes to make a golf cart street legal. The laws vary from county to county and state to state so I thought this would be a useful forum to discuss this in. Anyone with any information or questions on laws and requirements for your state can post it in this forum. I know a lot of members from different locations have checked the requirements for making your carts street legal and I would appreciate it if you can post any info on what you've found out. :)

Thanks.
HRC
Live in Delaware. Just got a Kandi Kruiser, (Coleman powersports) 2023, 48v STATED "STREET LEGAL" cart from <of all places, LOWES. Has everything to be licensed for the street but because the certificate of origin says "GULF CART" in stead of "LSV" (low speed vehicle), I can not get it registered for the street. Any one else have this problem and a solution?

Zman

Cartaholic
In Colorado the manufacture has to be registered with the state of Colorado. You would have to purchase the cart and get a certificate of origin to go and obtain a title. Cart has to meet the LSV specs. DOT windshield, brakes for 25 mph , seat belts, full lighting, horn, etc. Some cities however have ordnances that allow golf carts on their streets if they have lights, Slow moving triangle, proof of insurance, horn. In my area if they meet this specs and are in a 1 mile radius of a golf course they are allowed to drive to the course and back.

Miwok

Ohio/Indiana
There is a Bureau of Motor Vehicle office in Greenville Ohio, that tells me "no title or license required in the State of Ohio" YET: Versailles, Arcanum, Union City Indiana/Ohio require titles and license plates (!) for theirs.
An inspection is required for the proper lights and turn signals which local dealers have done before you buy in many cases.
SO I have placed a Triangle (slow moving vehicle) sign on mine and have not taken it out of town to test the waters.
It is removable for my needs, no holes drilled, and I have all the other things required, because Darke County requires extra money for plates, adding $10 per axle for all Vehicles with plates.

Attachments

• cart SMV sign.jpg
    cart SMV sign.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 5
  • cart with clamps and Megan.jpg
    cart with clamps and Megan.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 5