Street Legal Golf Carts in California

Ted4420

First step. Don't call the CA DMV. They don't speak golf cart street legal. It is a waste of your time. They refer you to other DMV people who don't know anything. I don't know what your time is worth taking your cart to the CHP who will tell you that you can't street legal a golf cart and then go to the DMV and have some dingdong DMV worker tell you it is not a golf cart because it doesn't have a bagwell or straps to hold your golfclubs. Then tell you to go put the golf club straps back on.
The next step is to call the mfg. and have them send you a certifacate of origin. I have an Ezgo. One call to Ezgo a Textron Company and they will send you one. You need to tell them your serial number.
Next Call: All Vehicle Registration Service. Ask for Tony. 951 259-5064 (Located in SOCAL) [email protected]
Tony will come to your home or business. He will inspect your golf cart. You give him the certificate of origin. and $ 300.00. This includes his service and the first year registration and whatever else the DMV charges. The next years registration will aprox. $ 64.00 or less depending on what you tell Tony what your cart is worth. I have done three carts with him. If he inspects the cart on a Monday you usually receive the plates and registration on the following Friday. The pink slip will follow in the mail. Later you will receive a notice from the DMV telling you that you need to show proof of insurance. I hope this will save you alot of time and money. It took me a year to find this service. Tell Tony you were recommended by Ted. Good luck, Ted

whiteGIANT510

Just checked the Americans with disabilities act. And golf carts count as mobility devices. You can use I anywhere the public is allowed to go. Technically, you can use an electric cart in a grocery store. If it will fit in the door. I love loopholes. I'm on my way to home depot to buy handicap sticker signs. Then I'm taking my cart on a 6 mile drive on the San Francisco Bay trail (pedestrians and bikes only) to a local car show. 5.9 miles on the trail or 9.1 miles on the street

whiteGIANT510

The ada covers the whole country but back to California. They have really lax moped laws. And a 3 wheel vehicle is registered as a motorcycle in CA. It counts as a moped if it goes less than 30mph. There's no inspection for mopeds. That means there's nothing stopping someone from registering a 3 wheel golf cart as a moped. That's a $22 one time fee. Unless you change address or ownership. Wooo loopholes.

EdT

I have a 2000 Planet G4 model it is a NEV neighborhood electric vehicle. It will go fast enough I cannot get it registered because I was told to take it to highway patrol who will not authorize it and DMV will not either. Iit is a four-wheel 120 volt cart. I also am looking for a repair manual for this would appreciate any help thank you.