Stock EZGO Controller With Large Tires

SpeedyVol

I have a 1997 EZGO electric cart that has been lifted and has large tires. The batteries are relatively new. The problem that I am having with it is that it is way slow in forward. It will run much faster in reverse. Also, after running it hard for a while, the controller gets super hot and starts to smoke. It is a stock controller. Does that sound like my controller is bad?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Is it a DCS or series cart? If it has a run tow switch it's DCS if not it's a series cart. If the controller is getting hot enough to smoke you have a problem and chances are the controller is shot. Are all the connections tight on the controller? Are you sure it's not the solenoid thats getting hot and smoking?

SpeedyVol

I think it is a cart series but I will go home at lunch and look for the run/tow toggle switch. I am sure that it is the controller that is getting hot. What is so strange to me is why it would run so much faster in reverse? The guy that owned the cart before me put really big tires on it but did not replace the speed controller. Could this have made the controller go out prematurely? Thanks for your reply.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Yes the larger tires will put more stress on the controller. The stock DCS controllers are weak to begin with. If its actually your controller smoking its shot.

dougmcp

Controllers are prepackaged with smoke in them.
If you let the smoke out, you can't put it back in and you need to get another smoke-filled controller.
IMO, you should upsize the 275 amp stock controller to something like a 400 amp.

SpeedyVol

This is the controller that is on the cart right now. Any idea which one it is?

P1011255.jpg

rhgc

It is a stock series controller. Also you can see some burn marks on the solinoid....look on the main post, you can see the black char. I would consider at least a 400amp alltrax w/ a HD solinoid. that should fix your problem. Your controller is a 4 post. you dont have to get a 4 post controller to replace it. all you have to do is eliminate the......(i think the A2 terminal)

SpeedyVol

Here is a closer look at the bottom of the controller and the solenoid. You can see where the wire got so hot that it melted into the controller housing.

P1011258.jpg

SpeedyVol

Thanks. Considering what I have now, which Alltrax 400 amp controller would you go with? I'm new to all this and don't want to buy one that won't work on my cart. Also, where can I find the best deal on an Alltrax?

Andy4639

I just want to make sure the cart is series. When you look at the forward reverse handle how is it made. Is it got the old style cam or is it plastic right on the backside of the handle under the seat with the little micro attached to it.
The only reason I'm asking is I have one of these controller out of a old cart and would swear it was a DCS controller. It's been so long ago now that I may be wrong.

rhgc

the DCS have a 10 pin on top. SpeedyVol has a 5 pin...im sure it is a series I would recomend a programable 400amp. This way you can set the settings like you want them. I would also recomend upgradding to 4 gauge wires throughout the cart. This way you dont run into the problem of heating up the cables

gornoman

100% correct. Cart is NOT a DCS cart, it is a SERIES cart.

Alltrax AXE 4844 is your best bet. I run that one on my '97 cart @ 48v to the stock motor.

TDAWG

Yes,,,along with your 97 model forward and reverse assembly, your solenoid and all of your main power wires.

rhgc

Absoultly!! Time to upgrade 400-500 amp...stock motor will be fine, HD solinoid and F&R, 4 Gauge cable and can always go 48 volt later!!