Still Having Problems With My EZGO That Stops Running

skindaddy

A while back posted i was having problems with my EZGO golf cart just randomly all out stops running. Sometimes when moving along the golf cart just cuts out and no more go, sometimes if you let it sit it would magically go, but now it wont so. I'm still having problems with this EZGO. Last night drove 50yds and boom it stops running. nothing anymore.
New parts:
Few month ago new batteries.
Micro switch under floor mat.
Both switches on f/r switch tree.
New resistor? on solenoid installed
I have a axe controller that's been on for years. Anyway when you push pedal it clicks, green light on axe comes on blinks as it should then, goes solid green as it should. but thats it no go.
Checked all wiring real close when put it new batts cant find any breaks.

Help i'm about to tap out on this one.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
What year and model EZGO is your cart? Have you checked to see if it has full voltage on both large solenoid posts when it quits running?

skindaddy

96 ezgo series serial# 977170 manuf code k1796
well thats great i just went and checked now the dam thing works almost ran myself over lol. i tried prob 20 times to get it going today and nothing!
still checked though putting the negative on the neg battery and the positive lead on the solenoid post each one is 37.8v
rod i will try to get it to fail tomorrow and check reading
thanks for the quick response will update when fails, hopefully dont have to push it very far this time!!!

skindaddy

alright rod, cart has been fine since i created this thread, until tonight. died again leaving me pushing it.
this time i checked i have Nothing no voltage across 2 big terminal studs on solenoid, it clicks like it always does though.
what does this mean?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Is it the solenoid clicking or the micro switch on the throttle? If it's the solenoid clicking and you have no power going across the large terminals the solenoid is bad.

skindaddy

yes they are both clicking. i'll get a new one but thats weird it sounds like it always has-like its working.
thank you i hope this solves this its been a long time screwing with this thing.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The cart isn't going to run if there's no power crossing over the large solenoid terminals. If the solenoid is clicking that tell us that there is power going to the small terminals and no problem with the activation circuit.

skindaddy

couple more questions, i got the new solenoid installed and works (of course the old one worked again)
do i really need the resistor going across the 2 little post? i do have the large resistor between the big post.
also a couple of my little wires to the little post are showing wire jacket melted or even through a couple small spots? what is causing this do i need to use bigger wires? problem is couple of them run into a seperatable harness so i cant remove them from quick release.
and one black goes from small post to the controller that one i could make bigger.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
One is a resistor and the other is a diode. The cart will run without them but it's better to have them both installed. If you install the diode make sure the gray stripe is aiming at the positive side of the solenoid.
The wire getting hot could have been caused by the bad solenoid. Keep a eye on them and check them after using the cart to see if they're hot.

Glad to hear you got the cart running again :)

skindaddy

well i'm broke down again, has new solenoid in now since the 11th prob used 3 times since then just a few minutes each.
and now it quit on me again, same exact problems, driving and just quit, still have all clicking noises as when it works green lights are normal on controller . after a few hrs of me cooling down walk out and works good enough to get it to garage.
running out of new parts to replace on this money pit :)

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
What brand and model solenoid is it? Is it a golf cart solenoid? Is anything getting how after you drive a few minutes?
The problem sounds either heat related or a bad connection somewhere.

skindaddy

White-Rodgers DC Power Solenoid, 36V, Amps 200 586-117111
which is the same one that i replaced that worked good for 5yrs
i did check those small wires i talked about earlier for heat and they were not hot, although i only got about 500yds start to dead/
i dont know what connections, i must be missing something we've checked over and over and again after new batteries installed, i've held pedal down and wiggled every wire thinkable never to get a stumble or start!
would a stock motor have brushes in it? although i dont think after this long and many times i would continue to be that.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The White Rodgers 586 is a good solenoid and you've replaced it so that can be ruled out.

Have you checked if you're getting power on both large terminals of the solenoid when the cart stops running?

skindaddy

no not this time just cause it was the same symptoms, i will next fail.
thanks for hanging in there for me much appreciated

skindaddy

it died again but didnt get a reading with it dead,went and got tester came back and worked so i tested it anyway key on i get 1.5v, and when you push pedal enough to just get it to jump/move it then reads 0 volts when it was working. chkd few times
i wanted to see what it was half or full throttle but did not have anyone to drive while i tested.
i've had some issues with micro switch under pedal,but replaced with new, day before first paragraph

skindaddy

ok something has to have been wired wrong for yrs. cause we tested it while driving i have no voltage across large post solenoid, its on the small post soon as you start to go they read like 38-39volts . and squat on large post???
i have some pics we took but will be a few hrs before i can get them sent to me.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You say no volts on large posts while driving. Is the cart running now? If it's running there has to be power at both large posts on the solenoid.

skindaddy

None, yes runs, large post are same 1.5v and touch pedal 0.00volts

small post have 38-39volts when moving

Attachments

• sol1.JPG
    sol1.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 33
  • sol2.JPG
    sol2.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 32

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If the cart is running there has to be power going across the large solenoid terminals or it wouldn't run at all. Looking at those pictures of the solenoid I can tell you those cables need to be changed or at least new ends put on them properly. If all your cables look like that I'd suggest buying a complete set of 4 gauge golf cart cables.