steering wheel removal

autoteacher

Has anyone found an easy way to remove a club car steering wheel. I have tried the hammer on the shaft with a piece of wood as a buffer, but to no avail. My puller is too small. Will try one from work, unless someone has a trick. Thanks, Autoteacher

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I've had good luck by putting my feet on top of the dash with my knees under the steering wheel pushing up. Then use the hammer and block of wood on the shaft. Remember to leave the nut started on the shaft a few turns so when the wheel comes lose you don't lose any teeth.

Greg Moss

I use an air hammer. I remove steering wheels from boats daily and an air hammer works very well. In the shaft there is a hole for a live center used in the machining process get a bit that will fit in there with out walking and very slowly squeeze the triiger on the air hammer with your knees behind the wheel putting pressure on it or have someone else pull on it while you massage the shaft with the air Hammer it will just pop off. easiest way I have found to do it. Like stated though leave the nut on a couple of threads for safety.

autoteacher

I appreciate those who offered suggestions. I brought home several pullers from school and still was only damaging the underside of the wheel. I went to the BU forum and found one from 2004 which said hit the underside of the steering wheel in a meaty area with a rubber hammer. Guess what? After four solid whacks the wheel came off. Club car has a unique puller in the tool area on their web site and that would have been my next quest. I definitely tried the pulling wheel and whacking the shaft, but it did nothing. Perserverance in key. Thanks again

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Glad you got the steering wheel off. I know they can be a pain sometimes
newlaugh.gif