steering wheel removal

simmers24

have a 2001 club car and can't get the steering wheel off.Have used a 10 ton push puller with 1-1/2 washers on the back side of the steering wheel and it pulled them completly through the plastic.The wheel has not moved at all.Is there a trick to this or is this normal,ned help!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

There's a couple things that usually work for getting the steering wheel off. First start the nut back on the shaft until the threads are close to flush with the top of the nut. While pulling up on the steering wheel hit the bottom with a rubber mallet.

If that doesn't work with the nut started on the threads sit on the seat and put your feet on top of the dash and knees under the steering wheel. While pushing up with your knees hit the nut with a hammer and a brass drift.

Make sure you have the nut started on the shaft to protect the threads and your teeth when the wheel pops free...

Also it's a good idea to spray some penetrating oil on the shaft and let it do it's thing...

JRay

Cartaholic
When you get your knees up under it you can rock that wheel with your hands , pull up on it and rock the crap out of it, it will come off. Soak it down with pb blaster and let it sit.
tip.gif

simmers24

I have done both of those and more,it will not budge.I have been through a 3/4 can of penetrating oil and have pulled my brains out on this thing.Im weary of hitting it to hard with a hammer because i am affraid I will pull the shaft out of the steering box.Thinking about cutting the plastic away and taking a cut off wheel to the steel center to cut it away from the shaft.The 10 ton puller didnt even move the thing,thanks for the responce/

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
It will come off. You have to whack it.
Or; Slidding your hammer along the steering colum hit the underside of the wheel. Hit the wheel at 12 O:clock while pulling the wheel at 6 O:clock.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Usually on the tough ones the feet on the dash and knees under the steering wheel works best. Or find someone to pull up on the wheel while you work the hammer and brass drift.

I have heard of guys cutting them off like you mentioned...

Bass Hole

simmers24 did you get the wheel of? I just ordered one today for my club car. I sprayed PB Blaster around the nut but I'm not going to try to take it off until I get the new one. I hope I dont have a lot of trouble.

DWS

Some months back I tried to remove the steering wheel on my Club Car and did just as you by pulling the puller anchors through the plastic in the wheel. ( I had tried all different kinds of solvents to no avail ) I even installed a 2 jacks between the dash and the wheel to try and push as well as pull the wheel at the same time, NO LUCK?
I ended up taking the steering column out and putting a long pipe over the housing and drove the wheel ( what was left by then ) off with a sledge hammer. After finally getting it loose I found that it had been installed incorrectly and or wrong spline and was welded together. After removing I found that all the pulling had lengthened the threads to the point where the nut wouldnt go all the way down the shaft? It had also pulled most of the splines off the shaft so I had to replace the shaft ( lucky to find a good used column )
If you can get ahold of a air gun like is used for cutting metal or punching holes and have the wheel nut turned just even with the top of shaft you should be able to vibrate it loose in nothing flat. I DIDN'T HAVE ANY AIR TOOLS AVAILABLE.
Good luck and I hope you get it loose.

simmers24

No I still cant get it off,I bought a used factory steering wheel from Rainbow Custom Cars that looks brand new for $20 from their site.I have a buddy that has his own auto repair shop and on this coming monday we will remove the wheel no matter what.I do like the idea of the air tool to help vibrate it loose.I talked to a guy at club car and he said it is VERY common that these wheels will not just come off.He admitted that they too have had to cut wheels off themselves to do repair work.My buddy has pullers that will wrap completely around the steering wheel and hopefully this will work,if not the torch and cut off wheel will come into play.The guys at Rainbow Custom Cars that build their custom carts said that it is about 4 out of every 10 Club Cars will have this issue,they claim that the ez go and yamaha carts are very easy it just seems to be the club cars.To anyone doing this GOOD LUCK,this is the HARDEST part of working on a golf cart that I have come accross.

JRay

Cartaholic
Only ever had one tough one, lucky it was the old style 3 spoke wheel, used a puller and a impact gun and rattled if off.