Steering Wheel Play on 2003 EZGO

seawaybob

Have a 2003 EZGO gas golf cart with a 4in lift and 20in tires, I have a lot of play in the steering wheel. How do I adjust the toe in for it to see if that is the problem? If not what is my next step?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

If you have play in the steering setting the toe in won't get rid of it but it will help the cart steer straight and help keep it from darting around at higher speeds. Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while looking at the steering components to see where the play is.

I usually set the toe in at 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Measure the distance between the front and rear of the front tires from the same spot on the tires with the cart sitting on the ground. To adjust the toe loosen the jam nuts on both ends of the tie rods and turn the tie rod to lengthen or shorten. Making the tie rod longer will increase the toe in making the tie rod shorter will decrease the toe in.

matt75

If the play is in your rack and pinion under the dash, your local EZ-GO dealer sells a rebuild kit.
twocents.gif

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
No it's a pretty easy job especially on the new style steering setup your cart has.
How much free play does the steering wheel have? Did you have someone rock the steering wheel while you look under the cart to see where the play is? The play could be the tie rods or spindle bushings also.
Take a look in the ezgo resource section here, theres a service manual you can download for your cart that should help you out...