Starting

memphistex

I have a 1996 TXT EZ GO that is getting very hard to start. It takes forever to start and get going, but once it starts it runs very well. I have cleaned carb, plugs, new filter. It has been suggested that the timing may be off but I do not know how to set it.

Anyone have any ideas. Also Does anyone have a pdf file on service and repair manuel?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum.

The first thing I'd do is adjust the valves. There's a how to with pictures in the EZGO Resource forum.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Welcome
tip.gif

Rods right, valve adjustment should fit it
EZGO Gas Golf Cart Valve Lash Adjusting

memphistex

Checked compression. 40 on one and 125 on the other. Adjusted valves to .006 and now 125 on each cylinder. Still will not start and run very good at all.

UIs 125 compression acceptable?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
anything lower than 140 and you will start to have starting and lack of power issues.

did you check the compression with the throttle wide open?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
yes, recheck it with the carb all the way open and the numbers should go up.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
the engine is just wore, a used or rebuilt is the fix. you can re-ring it if you do that kind of work and it will buy you some time but replacement is the long term answer.
if you go used, make sure you know what your getting! there is a lot of junk out there. i can set you up either way if you choose to replace. i'm not pushin' a sale
no.gif
just sayn'
tip.gif