Starting Problem

JeffN

Greetings everyone.

New to the forum and wanted to say "hello" first off. Looking for a little help on my Club Car. The cart ran well, but over the last few months I've noticed that when you push the gas pedal down the starting sound/turning over was getting weaker and it was getting worse as time goes by. Lately I would push the pedal down and nothing - until I "pumped" it and then it would start. Now last week, it won't start/turn over at all. The battery is 100% charged/good to go. Would greatly appreciate your help, since I'm a beginner at cart repair/maintenance. Thanks for your help!!!

-Jeff Nelson

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum.
tip.gif

What year is the cart? What's the battery voltage checked with digital meter? Do you hear the solenoid click?

JeffN

Hot Rod,

-It's a 1985.
-I just have an LED btry meter and it reads 100% charged.
-I don't hear anything when I press down on the throttle; i.e. no solenoid click.

Hope this helps a bit. If you have any suggestions or more steps I need to complete, please let me know.

Thanks a ton for your help!!!

-Jeff

JeffN

Correction - closer inspection and the solenoid does click. I took the cover off the black box and I can hear it click when I press down on the pedal, but still nothing; i.e. it doesn't turn over...nothing. Thoughts?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Try jumping the two large posts on the solenoid with a 6 gauge cable and see if it starts. If it does replace the solenoid. If it doesn't start let us know and we'll go from there. I'd also check the battery voltage with a digital volt meter to be sure that's not your problem before buying any parts.

JeffN

Connected the two posts, sparked a bit, pushed down on the pedal to start, and only heard the solenoid click; i.e. nothing/engine didn't turn over. Tried 2 different batteries that both register 100% charged on my battery meter and nothing. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!
-Jeff

shadowman

yes its worth checking, just pull a few of the rubber inspection covers you can see the brushes.......................................
cool.gif

JeffN

Pulled the rubber covers. Both the brushes are about 9/16th inch long. Both are about 1/8th to 1/16th down into the channel/grove that the brushes ride in. Can't tell if these are still good or not. Is there a way? Again...I'm a newbie here, so thanks for your patience :)

Also, I'd like to replace the belts (pretty worn). Is there a cross reference, so I can pick one up at the local auto parts store? I live in a rural area, so it would be easier to pick one up locally.

Thanks.
-Jeff

shadowman

there is a minimum wear line on brushes so check that and as for the belts i know napa has the starter belt just take old one with you and the clutch belt try some of the site sponsers here................................
cool.gif

JeffN

Pulled one of the brushes and I don't see any marks or lines on it. Does that mean it wore the minimum line off; i.e. it needs to be replaced and it was the problem? Thoughts?
-Jeff

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I got your PM but figured I'd answer here in case anyone else searches for starter brushes on the forum. You can get the new brushes from Radical Golf Carts. Here's a link.
Starter Generator Brushes

You may want to give Eric at Radical Golf Carts a call before ordering to make sure you get the right parts.

JeffN

Hey, fellas. Wanted to say thanks to HotRodCarts & Shadowman for all their help!!! The new brushes worked. Ordered the brushes from Eric and all is good to go now. Now I just have to replace the belts. Been pulling the kids behind the cart on their sled around the yard and they're lovin' it. Helps when there isn't much snow, so the cart doesn't get stuck, but enough for sled ops
thumbup.gif
Thanks again for helpin' out a newbie
usaflag1.gif

-Jeff