starter turns wrong way

pearc2

1988 Club Car-KF82 Engine
new starter turns clockwise,can anyone tell me how to rewire it to turn counterclockwise? no instructions came with new starter. Thanks

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'm not positive but you should be able to swap the cables on A1 and A2.
If it starts then but doesn't charge swap F1 and F2...

pearc2

I swapped F1 & F2, starter now turns the right way but it gets red hot.
and the jumper wire from f1 to a2 get red hot,tried swiching the a1 and a2
but that way it wont do anything at all.
So right now it is wired:
A1 to ground
A2 to F2
Solenoid(hot) to F1
DF to Voltage Regulator
Turns counter clockwise,starts but starter/generator gets hot

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'd contact the place you bought it from. They should be able to tell you what you need to do. It sounds like they sold you the wrong starter...

shadowman

yes tell them to take their starter back and send you the right one......do you remember the color of the one on the cart? you have a starter that turns C.W. and one that turns C.C.W.............................................
cool.gif

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Did you try it only swapping the A1 and A2 cables and leaving the rest of the cables like they were originally? I re-read your post and it doesn't sound like you did. Swap A1 and A2 and leave the rest like they were originally and let us know what happens...

shadowman

i think i would call the place where you got the starter or had it rebuilt and tell them you want the right one........everytime i see this the owner of the cart has problems so either no one knows how to do it or its a misconception that it can even be done.......i say thre latter i have just seen way to many problems and if as easy as just switching a few wires than why don,t they just make one and say if it rotates this way wire it this way or if it rotates this way than wire it this way.........something stinks here.......................................
cool.gif

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'm not sure about all Club Car starters but the Hitachi starter generator can be wired for either rotation without any problems...

Hitachi Club Car Starter:
For Club Car gas 1984-up DS & Precedent.

Can be wired for clockwise or counter clockwise operation.

Replaces:
Club Car P/N -1012316, 1018294-01