Sporting Clays

shooterclay

that's what i do.. that's how i got started using a cart. you see all kinds at the shoots, from limping along carts to full-on customized jobs to all of the mules, rhinos, gators, rangers, etc. that money can buy.

IAMCOOL

hey i got a skeet shootin gun
laugh.gif

Clayboy

I love shootin clay pigeons. I just built a double arm thrower so we can throw 4 at a time if we want. I will see if I can get a picture later. It's basicaly a steel bench with 2 throwers mounted to it. Other than the fact it's just darn fun, I mainly shoot to keep in shape for hunting. If it fly's it die's. 3 1/2 inch magnums are fun and they really knock the hell out of whatever your shootin at.
Anyway welcom to Cartaholics and enjoy yourself.

shooterclay

i've never heard of a wrist rocket... the places i shoot at have mostly auto traps that run off of car batteries with two per station and from 10-12 stations per course. some of the ranges that have been doing it a while will sometimes use mounted manual traps that throw some pretty interesting targets.. if you guys are ever by a range, i recommend you try it out. leave the 3 1/2's at home though, i shoot them at ducks and geese but i think i'd be half dead after shooting them 100-125 times (let alone broke!)

TheCartDude

Cartaholic
I shoot 2-3/4" to 3-1/2" when I'm hunting. I prefer 2-3/4" for skeet and trap though, not like I'm trying to bring down something 300 feet away.

Our range here features power launchers on all the courses, just push a button for what skeet tower you want- and voice activated launchers for trap. They also have a 7-zone trap range (operator controlled, you don't wander around either) that is by far the hardest to shoot at- you have to be GOOD and FAST!

We do have some trap trails here, never been on one though.

shooterclay

I shoot 3 1/2's for ducks/geese but only 2 3/4 for targets. that 7 zone trap may be what's called 5-stand. it's kinda like sporting clays but there are 5 stations set up side by side and you have anywhere from 5-8 traps throwing different kinds of targets. we usually warm up on that before shooting the course but there are also tornaments on them as well at some of the major shoots. the trap trails you're talking about may be a sporting clays course. i used to shoot skeet and trap but it got to be kind of repeticous. no matter where you shoot, everything has to be the same. the layouts, the distances, etc. i shot sporting clays 5-6 years ago and have been hooked ever since. i do shoot skeet every now and then just to practice.
there are shoots every weekend somewhere within driving distance. we usually go throughout alabama, tennessee, georgia, and some in mississippi.
you ought to try the other traps there where you're going. some of them do require some pretty quick reflexes but you get used to it. see ya..

TheCartDude

Cartaholic
A shotgun machine gun. Sells for about 3k where you can find it- a store sold one and was shut down because of it I think. I think it classifies as a Class III weapon and requires a special license. But hey, I can probably have the same thing done to my shotguns for less. [sneaky tone]I just removed the "gunsmith removal only" 4th shell plug from both my Berettas. [/sneaky tone]