speed baby speed

Ross Kincaid

Hello guys, I was on the BO web sites asking for help, now that every thing is running smooth I am looking for a little info.

One of the carts I would like to upgrade is A 36v Ezgo

At the moment it has a PDS set up in it; I believe totally stock electronics (Curtis 1206 controller) it all came out of a 2003 cart.

I saw a few people asking about speed upgrades and from what I remember they were told more voltage.

So can you replace the 6-6volt batteries with 12v units a new controller and solenoid?

That would be 72 volts will the stock motor handle that much of a jump?

If so anyone have any part #’s that work well for the controller end of it, and also are they a direct replacement or do they need a different speed pot as well as wiring?

I can do any rewiring needed so that would not be a show stopper, I would have to do it slowly as I can’t take a big punch on my budget (it is my bosses cart) =))

All information would be greatly appreciated thanks for your time.

Ross

*Edit*

One thing I should have put in here, it is a 2 seated cart no hills just a to and from cart.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

I've never seen anyone go over 48 volts on a PDS cart so I'm not really sure how much voltage the PDS motor can handle. I usually use Alltrax controllers here when I'm upgrading a cart but I don't think the make a controller rated higher than 48 volts for PDS systems...

Ross Kincaid

Upgrading the whole system would not be to much of a problem, I could do it over time buy the parts and stash them back then when I had them all get her up and running.

I guess what I need to ask do they make a good reliable motor for a 72 volt system. Or is that totally out of the question?

Thanks for taking the time to respond =)

Ross

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
A stock fleet series wound EZGO motor will run on 72 volts. D&D builds series motors that will handle 72+ volts with no problem. I'm not sure if anyone makes a SEPEX/Shunt motor or controller like your PDS controller that will handle 72 volts. Maybe someone else here knows of something that will work. Otherwise you would have to convert the cart to a series cart if you want to go to 72 volts...

Ross Kincaid

Ok when you say series cart, what type of system is that?

I took all the PDS equipment out of a 2003 cart because my boss blew the rear out of this one, Rebuilt the rear-end and installed all in the donor PDS cart.

The equipment I removed from this cart I thought it was a DSC not sure mind you, had a handle by your right leg on the body of the cart it went to a F-R switching station mounted in front of the motor control box, the control box looks very similar to the PDS set up but it has no run-matiance switch.

Also the motor only had 4 wires going to it, unlike the PDS motor witch has the 4 plus what looks like a pick up type wired plug on the end of it.

So if I have given a decent description of the unit can you tell what it is? Is it a Series or DCS?

Ross

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Fleet / series cart will have F&R switch by your leg and no run tow switch, uses a series wound motor and has no regen braking.

DCS cart was EZGOs first version of regen (F&R switch by leg, run tow switch) uses a shunt motor...

PDS cart was EZGOs second generation regen cart ( F&R switch on dash and run tow switch) uses a shunt motor...

Ross Kincaid

ok so if the cart has a regen breaking system ( you tell by the motor breaking the cart when the throttle is released?)

Because the only carts we have that do that are the newest in our fleet. We have 2 that just coast till breaks are applied… is there a way to tell besides that..

This is all the numbers I could find on her B302 1463651

*Edit*

Omg LOL I need to go back to school my reading comprehension is lacking it seems, so the old equipment is in fact a fleet/series no run/tow

So all I would need to do reinstall all the old equipment back into her and pick up a good controller and change out the batteries.

Ross