spare tire

Fairlane

I finally got off my butt and built a mount for my spare. A friend trashed a wheel out on the trail a while back so I decided to carry a spare and tools with me.

Glen

Fairlane

I did for a long time and when my friend trashed a wheel it woke me up. He managed to limp it back to camp but it could have been a lot of trouble going to camp getting a tire and going back to fix it. I'll still have room for the ice chest and a tool bag.

Glen

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Looks good Glen. It will be nice now having the piece of mind about getting a flat and not being stranded...

It would look even better if you could mount the spare at an angle like on a pre-runner. Only problem with that is your cargo box would be useless.

Fairlane

I almost mounted it that way but couldn't give up the cooler. Thats why it took so long to get it done was I was undecided how to mount it. I can change it later if I come up with a better idea. It is bolted in so it can come out in a few min. I'm open to suggestions.

Glen

Too bad it wouldn't fit in the bagwell under the cargo box. That would be hot. You could glass in a relief on each side and inset the spare like an early 80's Eldorado. That would be BIG PIMPIN'
biggthumpup.gif
Just need some fuzzy dice and curb feelers

JRay

Cartaholic
It might hang on the rear gate, maybe not, i,m shure you have tried it in a few places. A space saver tire like comes in cars these days? You could get a nice custom cover made at a upholstery shop with your name on it or whatever. Just rambling on here. John

Or, you could have a similiar cargo box built on the top of your beauty cage above your bikini top & mount it in there . If it wasn't top heavy enough for you as is, this would definitely help get you there.

In looking at the picture again, what about welding in a cross bar between the two rear uprights about mid-way up and mounting it the same way you have it, just higher. You already can't see $%&*@ behind you. That way if you hit the gas, the passengers head will have something reasonably soft to bounce off of
wallbash.gif

No offense on the "beauty cage" but it doesn't look like it's mounted in a fashion that would keep the front from collapsing. Is there anything bracing or other tubular material inside the fenderwell that runs straight to the frame?

You shouldn't have asked....I'm full of dumb suggestions
tongue.gif

Grizzley

I dont know why everybody thinks that the front of these cages are mounted to a weak point. Those two bolts are threaded right into the frame of the car. It connects to the same plate that the shocks mount to. I have a winch mounted directly to that plate and it will support the full weight of the cart hanging from a tree. I dont think that the roll cage has to be chrome molly either. I have a roll cage made from 1"EMT conduit and it has been flipped on its side and didnt budge an inch. If I hadnt had the cage, both of my legs would probably have been broken. Believe me I am sure that that mounting point will be fine if Fairlane ever crashes(God forbid). To me the cage and the spare look great. I would love to have one like it. The only suggestion that I would make, and you would have to be unconcerned about weight in the rear to do this, is mounting the spare just a few inches above your hitch, kinda like what jray said. With a plate attached to your gate and hitch. But thats just my 3 cents worth.
Gregg

I've never even really looked at a newer ez-go. The Marathon I bought for resale doesn't have a top so I've never looked at that part of the cart either. As long as it bolts to the frame, it should be more than solid enough if you go ass over tea kettle.

Some 4 or 5-pt harnasses to keep you one with the cart would be a great addition. You could even put in belts that are out of date. Most racers either throw them away or have them piled in the garage somewhere. I recently sold three sets on ebay for recreational use. You could probably put up a post on the SCCA web forum, SCCA Production forum or NASA forum and have multiple people get back to you. You could probably get some really nice belts for $30-$40 that are out of date but perfectly safe for recreational use.

I'm with Grizzly on the chromoly. The one thing alot of people don't understand is it needs to be heat treated to be affective in the manner it was intended. Alot of chromoly cages are not done in this fashion. When I bought my race car, the roll bar that was in it was made out of black pipe (basically steel water pipe). It was good enough to pass tech inspection for eight years or however long it was in the car.

In closing, my apologies for talking out of my A$$ if it offended anybody about the structural integrity of the roll cage.

Fairlane

No offense taken. The reason I asked was to get a lot of Ideas. And thats exactly what I got. I think I'll leave it there. If I go higher or further to the rear I think it'll be too heavy in the rear. I may already have that problem. I need to take it out and try some vertical stuff & see how it handles. Thanks guys

Glen

4 pt harnesses are ordered. just waiting

Grizzley

The only part that concerns me about the harness stuff, is that the seat bottom isnt secured. If it was latched down somehow, then a harness would be a great idea. But if I had been harnessed in when I rolled mine over on its side, I would have been "hanging" around and very sore the next day. The cart just slid me across the seat and stood me up on the ground and the cage and cart came crashing down around me. It looked like I just laid the cart on its side and stepped over and inside the top and stood there. It was the easiest and fastest crash Ive ever had.
Glen, Im sorry about Hijacking your thread, but I just wanted everybody to know, that all things considered, our cages are pretty safe.
Gregg

Fairlane

Thats cool. I don't know of a safer way of doing a cage. It's bolted in the front, 2 bolts each side and to the rear behind the seat with 2 each side. With the harness I'm not sure your body would lift enough for the seat to come out. Every accident is different. I know people who would have been better off not in seat belts but the odds are in favor of being belted in. I will be installing them as soon as I get them. I'm going to use 1" X 1-1/2 solid bar horizontally behind the seat to attach them. I'll get you a pic when I do. Take care Gregg. Later

Glen

Just for everyones info I can see in the rear view mirror over the spare

WALKNTALL

Yep, looks great.

You have the Strech front end and Terra Toys rear right? I havent seen that combo yet, did you do anything to change the height of either or is that the stock height for front and rear? It looks bad ass...

Frank

WALKNTALL

I have the 4 point in by black cart. Man I sure feel secure in it. I got mine from Dragon Fire Racing.

The only down side to think about, is you cant reach the dash key switch when buckled in. Get all buckled in and forget to start it ...ugh! I will probably put in another starter switch within reach.

Frank

Fairlane

Frank, I do have the strech frt and the rear came from procarts here in Phx. I don't know the mfg but it has round stainless control arms with heim joints on BOTH ends. It doesn't corner very well at speed but it twists like crazy. Perfect for the riding I do. It has progressive shocks on all 4 corners. The frt is set on the highest setting and believe it or not the rear is on the lowest setting. Rides like a dream and crawls over most anything I have encountered. I'll send you a pic of the rear when I get home from work.

Glen

gornoman

Wouldn't it be better if those bolts were upsized to handle the load? I have sheared a rusty one right off with a 3/8" drive ratchet. If there is a weak spot, it's right there.