solenoid resistor shorted closed

jvanick

Newbie here... and just trying to understand how the wiring works...

I've got an old 89 Marathon that's got a solenoid that's shorted in the closed position...

This cart is definitely a bit of a basket case, but I do have it running at the moment. FnR works just fine and it does drive. Of course the key switch doesn't work, nor the backup buzzer (which doesn't even exist anymore LOL).

I'm wondering if I really need to replace the solenoid or not... since it's working fine.

also, there's no resistors or caps or anything attached to the solenoid which seems like people are talking about here...

I've got a a lot of electrical experience (I wire -48v DC gear in a telco facility), just not much in the cart world of things...

the wiring diagrams don't show anything, but I'd rather not blow up a new solenoid if I replace it.

Thanks in advance!
-J

dougmcp

You don't need a resistor or a diode for the old Marathons, they were just to soften the blow and prevent feedback with the newer cart's controllers.
The key switch and/or the solenoid shorted in the closed position could be a problem, if anyone steps on the throttle you have 0 safety and people could be hurt.
You can use a toggle switch in place of the key switch but you really should have an operating solenoid. You can buy a 36v solenoid for less than $25.
Does your cart use a controller or resistors for speed control?

jvanick

it's a resistor cart... no speed controller...

the key switch works.... it's just the solenoid that's failed.

right now, as a safety, I've been putting the cart in the neutral position when I park... but I guess I do see your point.

-J

dougmcp

In a nutshell, the batteries supply voltage to the solenoid, to the resistors and then to the motor.
The resistors are controlled by the throttle with top speed eliminating all the resistors and power straight to the motor.
Reverse is accomplished by reversing polarity at the F-N-R switch.

jvanick

Thanks Doug!

You guys are so much friendlier over here than on the 'other' forum :)

My cart is definitely a basketcase, but then again I only paid $400 for it with brand new batteries (batteries stamped April 2011). (previous owner couldn't make it run .. the wiring was in TERRIBLE condition, lugs coming off, corroded terminals..) it's certainly not a looker, but it's going to be fun as a run around my neighborhood cart.

-J

dougmcp

So basically someone paid you to take the cart, the batteries cost a couple of hundred more than you paid. Bonus!
thumbup.gif