Solenoid Question

PaperBagMask

So long story short, I believe I burned up my solenoid and decided to order a HD 400 amp solenoid to replace it. I received the new one today and when I opened it, the company send me a solenoid that was different than what was pictured. (Thought I was getting a MZJ-400) but what I received has 4 male post and 2 large terminals for the battery cables. My current solenoid currently has 2 large terminals and 2 small terminals. And on the small terminals are 2 black cables and 2 red cables. Along with a diode and resistor. I’ll attach some pictures of the differences. My question is can I make this new one work or do I need to return it and swap it for a different one?

Cart is a 04 EZGO SERIES CART.

Attachments

• IMG_7441.png
    IMG_7441.png
    226.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7439.jpeg
    IMG_7439.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 9
  • solenoid.jpg
    solenoid.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 5

Jeff10456

why the new solenoid has 4 small terminals i dont know .... unless it is dual voltage
google the new one and see what it says

in general a solenoid needs two parameters to function properly
1) applied voltage to the small terminals
2) sufficient amp rating for the large terminals

1718102579634.png

BurlyDeer

Jeff, I believe that we could collaborate on writing a thesis paper on solenoids at this point. “Solenoids: A Switch Misunderstood” 😂

Jeff10456

Jeff, I believe that we could collaborate on writing a thesis paper on solenoids at this point. “Solenoids: A Switch Misunderstood” 😂
decades ago they were a mystery to me
condensers were also a mystery
then i became an electrician
then i learned what they were :)

and btw that post is all i know about them
i think that is all there is to know , but there could be more fine details

Jeff10456

So long story short, I believe I burned up my solenoid and decided to order a HD 400 amp solenoid to replace it. I received the new one today and when I opened it, the company send me a solenoid that was different than what was pictured. (Thought I was getting a MZJ-400) but what I received has 4 male post and 2 large terminals for the battery cables. My current solenoid currently has 2 large terminals and 2 small terminals. And on the small terminals are 2 black cables and 2 red cables. Along with a diode and resistor. I’ll attach some pictures of the differences. My question is can I make this new one work or do I need to return it and swap it for a different one?

Cart is a 04 EZGO SERIES CART.
i just saw that the terminals have something soldered across them on one side
it appears to be heat shrinked so it May be a diode ... IDK

post a link to where you bought the 6 terminal solenoid

BurlyDeer

decades ago they were a mystery to me
condensers were also a mystery
then i became an electrician
then i learned what they were :)

and btw that post is all i know about them
i think that is all there is to know , but there could be more fine details

Please refer to Chapter 56 of our unwritten book “Chapter 56: On Collapsing Electromagnetic Fields- An Ode to Diodes”

BurlyDeer

I’ve never seen that type of solenoid before. Should function the same regardless. The blade terminals just allow you to attach multiple wires to your coil sides I assume. With that said, it’s a weird one and I’d expect to get what I ordered so that I didn’t have to change all of my terminal ends.

Golf Cart Wizard

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
That looks like an Albright SW180 knockoff. There are dual contacts for each end of the coil so you can add extra wires without having to splice. Ohm out the posts and check the polarity of the diode to see which to connect to and just leave the spare terminals disconnected.