Solenoid Clicks But Golf Cart Won't Move

maabell7590

I have a issue where the solenoid clicks and has voltage on both large studs on solenoid but the golf cart won't move.

Also have used jumper cables directly to forward motor terminals and motor does turn.

Any ideas here!? Thanks, Mark

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
We need to know what kind of cart it is controller cart or five solenoids

maabell7590

My cart is a 2000 ez go, 36 volt, has one solenoid, the controller number is 1206. I think it has series type motor.

Thanks for any guidance.

maabell7590

Any help out there!?

I have a 2000 ez go electric golf cart, 36 volt, series motor.

The solenoid clicks but wheels do not turn and the golf cart will not move. I used jumper cables directly to the motor to see if motor will turn and yes the motor did turn (12 volts connection).

Since the golf cart is 20 years old, I decided to change one component at a time.

I have replaced the ITC assembly including the micro switch, F/R assembly, the 1206 controller, all new power cables to motor, the solenoid diode, the 250 ohm resistor across the large solenoid studs.

After replacing all these components, I only get the solenoid clicking in forward or reverse but no wheel movement......!?
What could I be missing? Thx..

golfcar2000

Cartaholic
Disconnect the [4] pin plug on the harness from pedal box to controller [found in front of controller] and see if it is corroded and apply some electrical grease to it and reconnect. With the rear tires off the ground try it in forward and if that doesn't let it work try moving the same harness back and forth at the point it enters the controller box by the tie down at the bottom because I have seen the wire in the harness break there. You will need to hold the accelerator down and wiggle the harness while having the key on and in forward or reverse. There are [4] wires in that harness [2] for switch and [2] black and white for ITS.

maabell7590

Disconnect the [4] pin plug on the harness from pedal box to controller [found in front of controller] and see if it is corroded and apply some electrical grease to it and reconnect. With the rear tires off the ground try it in forward and if that doesn't let it work try moving the same harness back and forth at the point it enters the controller box by the tie down at the bottom because I have seen the wire in the harness break there. You will need to hold the accelerator down and wiggle the harness while having the key on and in forward or reverse. There are [4] wires in that harness [2] for switch and [2] black and white for ITS.
Ok,
I used electric lube on the 4 pin connector and reconnected.
I wiggled while key on accelerator pressed and solenoid clicks but wheels do not turn. :(

golfcar2000

Cartaholic
Check the white and black wires and make sure they are good as it appears the red and green [they turn on the solenoid] ones from micro switch is working. The white and black supply the signal to the controller. Are you replacing the parts listed above with good quality parts or are you using cheaper non OEM parts?

Glen Batchelor

Sounds like the ITS is bad (I have bought new cheap ones that were shorted), the black/white wires are broken or the controller is bad.

maabell7590

Sounds like the ITS is bad (I have bought new cheap ones that were shorted), the black/white wires are broken or the controller is bad.
I did not replace the wiring harness to the ITS but I did ohm out the 4 wires.

All the items that I replaced were OEM parts.
The solenoid still clicks which seems to indicate the positive side of the DC 38.4 volts is getting to the motor.
Not sure the ground side is!?

Diode

Some carts switch the neutral or negative side so getting power means nothing on those carts The motor is hooked to the hot side I am not real familiar with ezgo if you can post a schematic I can give you some ideas

maabell7590

Some cards switch the neutral or negative side so getting power means nothing on those cartsThe motor is hooked to the hot side I am not real familiar with these ago if you can post a schematic I can give you some ideas
. Here it is...

ezgo-txt-wiring-diagram-series.jpg

maabell7590

It just seems like one connection is not connecting somewhere - because I can use my jumper cables and get the wheels moving....frustrating for sure.

Diode

OK you have three microswitches two in the forward reverse switch and one for the charge port those three switches need to be checked you have a switch in the ITS That should activate the solenoid Make sure you’re getting the correct voltage out of the controller through the ITS and back to the controller If all of that is OK then I will check the forward reverse switch if everything else checks OK then your controller is probably bad

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If the contact studs on the cam in the forward and reverse switch aren't aligned properly the solenoid will click but the golf cart won't move. I've seen quite a few new forward and reverse switches with the contacts installed wrong.

ezgo-fr-5.jpg

Here's a link with more pictures of a EZGO forward and reverse switch and proper alignment of the contact studs.

Patrick L

Cartaholic
Have you checked the micro switch [ MS2] on the F/R switch ?
I was going to mention the F/R switch like HRC did. That switch can have issues like he mentioned. Its pretty easy to fix.
I've also seen the F/R wires not connected correctly.

maabell7590

Have you checked the micro switch [ MS2] on the F/R switch ?
I was going to mention the F/R switch like HRC did. That switch can have issues like he mentioned. Its pretty easy to fix.
I've also seen the F/R wires not connected correctly.
MS2 switch is new and tests good for continuity.

Before I replaced most all components, the golf cart would click and solenoid pulls in.

Even after replacing many items, the solenoid still only clicks and I have 38.4 pack volts.

maabell7590

I am curious about my ez go electric golf cart. It has a 36 volt, series motor.

Does anyone know if a DC motor has brushes and a commutator.!?

Could the brushes be wore down and not allowing it to turn!?

Just thinking out loud...

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Yes the motor has brushes and commutator but you said the motor runs when tested so I doubt that's your problem. Did you check the alignment of the contacts in the forward and reverse switch?