Solenoid Clicks But Golf Cart Won't Move

maabell7590

Yes the motor has brushes and commutator but you said the motor runs when tested so I doubt that's your problem. Did you check the alignment of the contacts in the forward and reverse switch?
Just checked F/R and seems all is good, I am thinking maybe the micro switch in ITS box may be off a bit... not sure.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'm out of ideas for you. There's a link to download a EZGO service manual in the resource section of the forum. The service manual has steps for testing the controller, ITS and some troubleshooting charts.

maabell7590

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Finally found problem with golf cart!

Three of the four wires in the connector that plugs into the top of the controller were ‘intermittent’.,

Red, white and black wires were not making consistent connection. I was able to remove each wire from the connector and clean/adjust for a tighter fit.

Back on the road again!!

jbelleye

Thanks for sharing, I also have a 2000 Ezgo with the exact same issue... I've replaced everything possible and still just a click in the solenoid. I'll try cleaning and checking the connectors for the Controller and get back to you!

justinfrier15

Did either jbelleye or ofdisme ever find the issue with their carts? im having a vey similar issue and cant quite seem to pin it down.

Mollycat

I have the same issue. Happened today. My wife was using the cart to haul water around and when she started from a stop, it just lunged and died. Towed it into the garage and checked the "little fuse" which has caused this before. It is fine. Beyond that, I am clueless. I have replaced axels and steering tie rods (my wife is rough on this thing) but I know nothing about the electronics. My issue sounds like all of the above. Everything looked clean so far. Was there any resolution to the issue that started this thread?

Mollycat

OK. Continuing to try and figure this out. I did check the 4 pin connection and it looks like new as did all the connections and devices under the cover where the ITC and solenoid are. Here's what I have:

The other day, we were using the cart, everything normal. After stopping to for a minute, then trying to go forward, the cart lunged maybe 12 inches and died. Like a fuse blew or something. No response or sounds when pressing the pedal other than solenoid click.

I checked the "Little Fuse" as it has blown in the past and same symptoms but it seems fine.

I fully charged the batteries (they were close to full to start with). Seemed to charge fine, at least from the reading on the charger.

Batteries in no-load = approx 35 volts
Batteries under load = approx 32 volts

When I went to press the pedal to put this under load, the cart actually tries to move, goes a few inches and then the motor just pulsates.

Step one in the troubleshooting guide says check voltage between Controller B+ and M-. This was about 5 volts. I don't know what it is supposed to be.

The batteries are probably getting to be about four years old again. That's about the time I replaced them before. Does any of this smell like bad batteries?

Thanks in advance for any help.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The battery pack voltage is to low and more than likely what's causing the problem. The batteries should have 38+ with no load.

Mollycat

That was it. I wondered about that when it read 35 and this is a 36v system. Sounded close enough to me. Anyway, I tested each battery and 5 were 6.2v but 1 was 4.1v. Replaced that one and we're back to normal. I'm charging the system now so I have not measured new voltage yet.

Of course, taking the utility bed and all the covers off to test connections had led to cleaning everything, repainting the utility bed, my rear leaf springs are flat so I need to replace those and the shocks and the bed frame has two broken welds to fix. None of this was on my wife's "list". But this is her cart and I may get some points for making it work and look good again...

Thanks.

Gordon@51

I'm out of ideas for you. There's a link to download a EZGO service manual in the resource section of the forum. The service manual has steps for testing the controller, ITS and some troubleshooting charts.
I have a question and dont know how to start a new thread, I have similar issues but I'm getting 36 volt between m- and b+ without touching the pedal, I disconnected the motor, taped up all connections and still get same 36 volts, my assumption is I have a open in motor, probably in the brushes.

Chain

I did not replace the wiring harness to the ITS but I did ohm out the 4 wires.

All the items that I replaced were OEM parts.
The solenoid still clicks which seems to indicate the positive side of the DC 38.4 volts is getting to the motor.
Not sure the ground side is!?
Your controller is responsible for giving the ground to the solenoid you should be getting full battery pack to the yellow wire on the short post of the solenoid while the back while the key is on and it's in forward or reverse. You can also try hooking your multimeter put your negative to the main battery pack negative sidek your positive the black wire when you press the pedal it engages the micro switch onto the ITC which then gives power to yourt should it should register from 0 to 2.9 volts at at Max pedal right
Agreed ....but still some connection is missing, just seems strange that the motor turns when jumper cables are used but not by the solenoid proving a path for power.
Sounds like your controller might be bad or you have a connection problem