Solar Lithium Ezgo

EzgoSun

Do you know the dimensions of the newer post 2001 bushings ? OD, ID
Thanks for your note. Yes it has been to long since last updated. 14yr old cart is due for some major maintenance.

Looks like my charging issues is related to the bms, I am on a steep learning curve tonight / morning.

EzgoSun

I see some of the newer style ( short ) bushings pictured with a split cut in them. Am not sure if its for hole size ware or to purge grease through. If they are thin maybe it would work for my oversized hole in the dropped axle.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The bushings should be in the spindle then there's a spindle tube that slides through the axle and bushings and the spindle bolt slides inside the spindle tube. The spindle tube should be taking up the slack in the holes in the axle.

EzgoSun

Excitement today !!!,
The batteries are fully charged... yahoo.:thumbsup:
My first attempt had the charge controler settings, limiting the charging of the batteries. Then some cloudy days with rain, now back to intense sun.
This time I saw 7.1 Amps going into the battery pack at 1:00 in the afternoon full sun, while in bulk charge.

This Victron Solar charge controller has bluetooth software connecting to by phone so I can monitor and change settings for charging. Here are a few screen shots. I am still on a steep learning curve of the software capabilities.

IMG_0312.PNG IMG_0318.PNG
The history shows the limited days out of the shop, in the sun, then cloudy / raining. The 12th shows it was fully charged in Bulk , then went into absorption mode input, and last was on float. I have Float and Absorption to with in .01V of each other now.

My full charge setting is at 56.75 V / 7 modules = 8.11V, ( am at 97.6% charged now, which seems a little to close to max, so will be back it off some)
Maximum setting is 58.1V / 7 modules = 8.3V ea

Now to complete battery mounting , cables, circuit breakers, and instrumentation from this test phase, to a more permanent install. Plastic skid plate yet to fabricate & install, keeping out the brush and divert the dirt.
I just had to know it would run first. Yes it does.

Sloppy steering issue;
Spindle bushings arrived and pressed in. Wheel bearings were cleaned and repacked.
IMG_0303.JPG
All tie rod ends cleaned and now with fresh grease.
The cart steers much better, yet still not a tight as I would like. As time allows will have to check the steering rack closer, and probably new shocks.

My lifted axle had oversized holes for the spindle king pin bolts, so, I shimmed with thin strips of sheetmetal tin, and play is gone.

???
The large steering arm bushing was replaced, and once tightened down, there is still play in the large shaft , as if its missing a washer. There were two under the nut as it was tightened down. Is this normal for steering pivot to have play?

Confidence is building that this will work as designed.
More to come.

EzgoSun

The bushings should be in the spindle then there's a spindle tube that slides through the axle and bushings and the spindle bolt slides inside the spindle tube. The spindle tube should be taking up the slack in the holes in the axle.
Thanks again HotRodCarts. Check the hole size against the spindle tube and found the thickness of sheet metal to shim it with. Cut a few strips and tapped them into place between the spindle tube and oversized hole in the axle. This worked very well.

EzgoSun

Controller Charger Wiring - Safety Circuit question.

I would like to know if "bypassing" the circuit at the charging port, that disables the controller while charging, creates any issues with the controller?

My limited understanding was this circuit was a safety issue, with the cart plugged into the charger, no one could drive off with the cart plugged into the charger because the controller was disabled.

With the design of the solar power to charge the cart, the external charging port is not wired up for external charger. I have wired this disabling circuit to be hot or battery positive all the time. While I have been testing this setup I have switched the controller to tow mode, thinking it would take the cart electronics out of the picture and let the solar charger put all its energy into the battery pack.

Am I understanding this correctly?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Yes the only purpose reed switch is to keep the golf cart from running when the battery charger is plugged in. A lot of people just bypass them when they go bad and have no problem so you should be fine.

whiteGIANT510

It's over a year and a half is this cart still going? What have you learned about the solar charge system I'm interested in any home built solar things.

Zman

Cartaholic
White i am confused on this whole thing it is a 36 volt cart and everything i see is 48 volt. Did he switch it to a 48 volt cart?