SHould I change my controller?

murtiv

tip.gif

Hi, I am a first time poster and last fall I purchased purchased my first cart - a '05 Ez Go TxT, series. It is fast enough on flat surfaces but really slows down going up the one big hill in our sub-division. I have considered replacing my controller to a 400 amp Alltrax but in researching my existing controller I find it is a Curtis #25864 and is rated at 350 amps. Would I get appreciable improvement going to the Alltrax? I also have new 4ga. cables ordered and will be replacing the old cables.

dougmcp

I think your 350a controller is fine, the new 4ga cables will help tremendously.
How old are your batteries and what kind of condition are they in?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to Cartaholics.

If your motor is stock you probably wouldn't see any difference going from 350 amps to 400 amps. How old are your batteries and what condition are they in? Take individual voltage readings right after a charge and again after about 1 hour of driving and post your results.

Where is your forward and reverse switch located?

Like Doug said the cables will help with torque

murtiv

I tested them the other day the day after I charged them. They all tested 6.2. The batteries were new with the cart in '05, I knew they will have to be replaced but I was hoping to get one more summer out of them. Haven't had a chance to get out on the cart recently. We live in Indiana and the temps have been between 0 and 20 for the last few weeks. Can't wait for spring !!

dougmcp

You have a series cart and the batteries are getting old. You may get another summer out of them, it just depends on your level of acceptance. Mine are 04 batteries and I will probably get 1 more year out of them as they still come up to 6.4v and can do 36 holes.
With only 6.2v the batteries are only about 70% charged, combined with the low temps you are having, it will slow your cart down.

Brittsc

What is the best way to improve torque on this cart? My neighbor has one just like it and it's torque is horrible. Will the 4ga cables improve torque? Will new batteries improve torque? Cart is not and will not be lifted. Tires are stock. No info on battery voltages yet. I am just trying to help him out with torque.
thanks
Britt

dougmcp

4ga cables will help with torque. Change all of them from the batteries to the F-N-R switch to the motor.

murtiv

I originally started this thread. We have had some warmer days recently (50's) and I have been able to get out and test my cart since putting in 4ga. cables. I notice a slight increase in speed and torque is much better!!!~
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif
I am no speed demon up the long hills but is a much improved, solid, consistant pace. I'm getting better reading on my batteries with the warmer weather (38.8 pack charge)