Shock Therapy Racing First Drag Racing Golf Cart Build

TerryH

One final swing at the elusive 100mph pass before the tracks close for the winter. We'll be running at tomorrow at Ozark Raceway Park. Carts...and the heaters...are loaded. Forecast is 50 with a 10-20mph north wind. Doesn't sound promising for anything electric powered but we will see.
dazed053.gif

TerryH

It was an historic day. The STR drag cart ran the fist ever...to my knowledge anyway...100+ mph 1/8 mile pass cart pass today. I was not driving. My good friend and ORP track employee Chris Askew was the pilot. Video and such to follow......

TerryH

You didn't drive it. We'll no more moon pies & RC cola for you .. You done great with your cart Sir.
Thanks Ronnie!!! I don't think I can loose down to 150 like Chris but you never know. Maybe I'll just cut my leg off or something.
rotflmao.gif

I'm certainly not giving up driving but it was pretty cool to put Chris in the cart. I had never seenit run from the outside before.

TerryH

Thank you Rod!!! We've got the motors back in Cali getting some tweaks. I'm desperately trying to loose some weight. Changing out a few batteries that appear to be weakening. Hopefully we can make some gains in 2015. Sure wish that cart racing would catch fire again!!!
dazed053.gif

GarageBuilt

What !!!!! Cart racing !!!!!!! Catching fire !!!!!! That's not funny !!!!!!
rotflmao.gif

But it does look like your wish is one step closer to coming true. Have you done any testing for 2015 yet.. Hope you were successful in tipping the scales to your favor. We all would like to see you hit & pass that 100 mph mark. This is your year T.H.

TerryH

No testing yet, Ronnie. The whole unplanned job change deal has left a pretty sad racing budget for 2015. We still have issues to iron out before we are ready. Tweaking motor configurations, need new slicks and the like. Hope to get in 1 or 2 sessions before July.

TerryH

Had some time to work on the dragster today. Time to get some much needed updates done. We had issues with cooling the battery pack last year using the 2 small CPU fans that we had mounted on it so a change was in order.

Here's last years cooling setup...

I bought a 9" 12v fan and mounted it on some left over Lexan. This should be WAY better.

Here it is installed...

I also took the opportunity to route connectors for each string of cells to the outside of the pack so I can top balance without removing the pack from the cart. I also made a very red neck discharging apparatus. It's an old tail light bulb pack from a pickup tail light. I can discharge 1 cell at a time now. Now I have setups to both charge and discharge individual cells. Really helped get the pack into balance.

Plus I just plain had fun messing with it.
biggrin.gif

TerryH

Thank you sir! I'm getting pretty anxious to go racing. Still waiting on the motors. Lack of funds are not going to allow much for testing anyway. Not much point to it until the weather is warmer also.

TerryH

The battery pack temperature is an interesting deal. Technically the hotter it gets the better that it transfers energy. Problem with that is that nuclear melt down occurs above 140 degrees. The trick is to get the pack up to about 120 and keep it there. I have a thermocouple in the center of the pack to monitor the temp.

TerryH

Video fun from last night's shop session......

Running in the brushes on the new motor...

We've never had overheating issues with these motors but it has been suggested by some of the NEDRA guys that cooling the comm between rounds is a good idea. Here's my rednectified solution. PVC pipe and Ebay CPU blowers.
rotflmao.gif

Just realized how much like Mickey Mouse ears this looks...lol...