Rust repair

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
I have a 83 F-150 4x4 that is in decent shape with decent paint and good body but the clear coat is starting to flake in some places and there are also a few small rust spots forming. I want to get control of this before it gets out of hand like my old 73 chevy c10. There is no way I'm going to let myself do the painting but the prep work I think I can handle. Where do I start?

csf1975

Well you need to grind off the rust to all the metal.. then clean and Prep all the metal.. then Primer it real well,, most of the rust is coming from Moisture
get rid of the moisture and primer it real well and that is a start..

shadybz

I had my entire frame sand blasted, primed, and painted for $250. You can't beat the results. I won't have to worry about rust for a long time
biggrin.gif

Fairlane

After you remove the rust use POR-15 to treat the surface and use the complete POR system including primer. I've restored a lot of cars and this stuff works. Good luck.

Glen

Fairlane

Nice clean truck. That rust below the tailgate shouldn't be hard to deal with. I would check with some of the aftermarket or a local body shop and replace that piece. Most likely about the same cost. Good luck.

Glen

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Wow Ace, I never realized your truck was in that nice of shape. Definitely worth taking care of the minor rust for sure. Keep us posted on it if you decide to do some body work...