Runs for a while then quits

Paula

I have a pargo electric cart that will run for awhile but then quits. I have brand new batteries and they charge, so not really sure what can be causing the issue. Seems if you let it rest for a while, it will start and run again for a while, but then loses acceleration power again.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I don't know anything about electric carts, so I'm lost

orpackrat

I'm no expert but I would check when it looses power to see if any of the electrical components are hot.

My theory is that something is getting too hot for some reason and shutting down. Letting it sit lets it cool down and then you are able to go again. Just a theory.

Paula

One of the resister coils get's hot, my husband replaced it but neither of us really understand what they are for, so not sure we replaced with the right ones. We got two that have 7 loops. I think what was on there may have been a 9 loop one and 4 loop one?

Does it matter what type are there, or is it something that just cools things off?

Also what would make that coil hot? I'm not sure what it's for

orpackrat

Its your Rheostat is sounds like.

What is a Rheostat

Depended on the distance the current has to flow to get to the motor, the more or less resistance the electricity has. The higher the resistance, the higher the heat output.

orpackrat

From what I've read, the coils are not a very efficient way of powering the cart. You may have to change to an electric controller to run the motor.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The resistor coils will get very hot when driving at slower than full throttle. At full throttle they're out of the loop and shouldn't get hot... Make sure all your cable connections are clean and tight. Like orpackrat said check for heat in ALL cables and at the forward and reverse switch...

Paula

should you drive it then with the pedal completely on the floor? That would help the coils from getting hot?

Paula

I'm still having the same issue. I was thinking maybe my solenoids may not be good. Does anyone know if they are all the same? I have 7 of them, and they all look the same.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Yes all seven should be the same... When the cart stops moving check all the cable connection everywhere and the solenoids and see if anything is hot. Also check to see if the forward and reverse switch is hot.