Runs 20-30 Minutes Then Dies and No Spark

Dadofchevy

I feel like I'm at an AA meeting. Yes, I've worked on this for two weeks and can't get it. Elderly lady loves her cart. It runs good for 20-30 minutes then dies and no spark. I have the manuals. Coil tested faulty-changed coil, same problem. rev limiter tested faulty-changed it. Igniter tested good. Ignition switch tested good. limit switches tested good. New plug and new fuel and cleaned carburetor new filter. Looked closely at picture of coil in book. Original coil had wire connector to left. New one has wire connector to right. It looks like new coil may include igniter while the cart had an individual igniter. I disconnected igniter wire from back of rev limiter and it started. Must be igniter in coil? Tomorrow I run it until it quits or doesn't quit. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Dadofchevy

New ebay crap coil tested within guidelines from the manual. The serial number of cart is AG9531-449482. Manual says that serial number 9624-502638 and forward has igniter in coil. Today it started right up with igniter wire removed from behind rev limiter but I didn't have time to work on it.

Dadofchevy

Still same problem. Any suggestions? Could voltage regulator cause a no spark condition after running 15-20 minutes?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
The voltage regulator will not affect the mag style coil, if it is a igniter built in coil it will run with no wires connected to it. I would run it unwired and see if it stalls, what are you setting the air gap at on the coil?

Dadofchevy

I cleaned up the flywheel and set the gap at .012. I have disconnected the igniter wire. Are you saying to disconnect the rev limiter also? Not sure what you mean.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Yes unhook all wiring etc to the coil and try it, a mag coil only needs to be grounded to stop the spark and will operate with no wire attached.
There is something simple causing it to lose spark in my opinion.

Dadofchevy

Thank you so much for your input. I will try your suggestion today. Right now I'm feeling pretty simple. The coil provider has contacted me and agreed that it is an igniter coil.

Dadofchevy

So today I removed "external" igniter wire, bullet connector leading from rev limiter to engine and cart ran for an hour and ten minutes. Satisfied with this test I pulled the plug wire to shut it off. Since the "external" igniter was not changed out (tested good) and the new coil already has an igniter, I'm thinking of reconnecting just the rev limiter (which is new) and do the test again. Could the "external" igniter have interfered with spark from the "internal" igniter if it is faulty? Any suggestions appreciated.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Now were gettin' somewhere, yes add the rev limiter and try it again. that other igniter needs to be taken out of the circuit all together, the next thing i would do is adjust the throttle linkage so the carb butterfly closes completely when the pedal returns. The starter needs to engage before the butterfly starts to open, after that all works correctly you will need to find a way to ground the coil with the key switch.
most likely the switch will need to be changed, if the new coil ever gets a shot of 12v power it will burn it out so be careful as you wire things in:twocents::usa:

Dadofchevy

Today I reconnected the rev limiter and the cart ran for over an hour followed by a 20 minute road test. It worked great. The only change was eliminating the old "external" igniter. I'm guessing that the old "external" igniter which tested good when cold may have faulted when warmed up. It was the only part not replaced. Butterfly is working correctly and engine shuts off by releasing gas pedal, turning off key or putting into neutral. The owner is very happy to be able to use it again and I thank everyone for their help; especially Nubs. I had so much fun with this embarrassing project that I am negotiating with a neighbor to purchase their cart with two flat tires and the carb laying in the seat. So, I hope you won't mind if I stop by again. I will probably need your help!
Thanks,
Ray

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I'm glad You took the time to help the Lady out, and if ya had a good time doin' it then ya can't get much better than that:hattip::usa:

Dadofchevy

Well I'm back again sooner than I thought I would be. The little old lady brought the Club Car back saying it spit and sputtered. When I had electrical issues with it I knew there was debris in the tank but siphoned fuel out and put in new. Wrong. Yesterday I spent six hours removing body to get tank out, cleaned tank,, cleaned carb cleaned fuel pump filtered fuel back in and tried it again. Working good now and she tried it also. Happy again.
Well I got the cart I was mentioning before. It is an E Z Go probably 89-94 Marathon- haven't seen the serial numbers yet. Couldn't get it "out of gear" so pulled it home backwards with loader tractor with its rear wheels up. I will start a thread in E Z Go repair as soon as I know for sure what it is.