Run a Catalytic Converter on a V-Twin Powered Generator

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
I was wondering if it would be effective to run the exhaust on a V-twin powered generator through a catalytic converter?

2nd question, Lets say for some reason you put a generator engine in the front of a car and pipe the exhaust out through the cars existing exhaust system. Would the generator engine have any problems with this and will it be significantly less noisy than with the stock little muffler on the generator engine?

DWS

I feel that you would only restrict the flow of exhaust more by going through a catalytic converter and you would not get enough heat build up to operate the converter at all and it sure wouldn't be a Green Machine.
Yes you could cut down on the sound greatly ( BUT ) If you ran a generator motor exhaust through the car exhaust you will have nothing but problems unless you set up some type of automatic valving to not allow large engine exhaust to back up into small engine. Then you would or could have the problem when running both engines of high back pressure forcing into the small engine and stopping it from running. The carbon and particles from either engine would I'm sure shorten the life of exhaust vales in both engines. Lets face the fact that the generator motor is not very efficiant.
Many years ago I helped a friend build a dual engine Bonneville car and we made the mistake of putting the exhaust from both engines through a common exhaust system and had very short valve life. ( ONE RUN ) The following year we ran seperate exhausts and never had that problem again. The car ran for 4 years after that and never had valve problems again.
If you really want to cut down the sound why dont you just add a auto type seperate exhaust system for generator? There should be many compact mufflers out there to adapt?

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
I follow what you're saying DWS. That's unfortunate it won't work. Doing my best to not sound like an environmental hypocrite here but I thought it would be cool to have a small on board generator under the hood of my electric car that way if someone needed to drive long distance they could. It would have been a nice feature that ensures you can always make it home without stopping at a motel to charge up or hiring a wrecker.

That Bonneville car must have been something else to drive. Dual engines!! :thumbsup:

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
Ace, DWS is not up on your electric car, I think. You are talking about using the existing car exhaust on a car that no longer has it's internal combustion engine, unless I am remiss here. You will have no problem what so ever.

DWS

Yes COPB is correct, if you dont have an internal combustion engine now you wouldnt have the problem witrh back pressure as I stated.
My statement about the Catalytic converter not working still stands as you wouldn't be able to generate enough heat to make it work as designed unless you are putting a very large engine ( 30 -60 HP ) should be way too much weight. In the early years of catalytic auto's we found that many of them were too large and had the problem of low heat and couldn't pass emissions standards of the time.
You ( may ) be able to find a convertor suitable, possibly from one of the very modern small engined auto's by checking on the exhaust size and amount of cylinders. REMEMBER HEAT IS WHAT MAKES THEM WORK.
Not being familiar with the V twin engines you are talking about but feel that you wont have an exhaust larger than 1 1/2-2"? I go along with you in trying to help the environment and hope that in the near future engine designers will come up with a Diesel Green Machine. I have seen stories about such engines but with fuel cost so high ( HIGHER THAN GAS ) and weight still very much a factor only time will tell?
Yes the dual engine was fun to drive but had problems also with torqueing to the side that made it hard to keep in line at speed, and required building up of frame and springs on one side to correct. While under full throttle engine it would almost bottom out springs on right side.