Ruff & Tuff No Power to ITS

Buckfever

Cartmaster you were spot on. There was a problem with the park brake switch. I also found another problem in the circuit from the key switch to the ITS. I have traced every circuit in the cart and written down all colors and routing. Will be sharing those as I get time. It will be a description rather than a diagram as I’m not an electrical engineer. These carts can be brought back to life if we just get the info out there. She’s alive!!!! My cart is now running and all circuits have continuity. Thanks for all the help.

cartmaster

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I am glad you got your cart back up and running again. At least it was simply a peripheral component and not the controller. Now you have an understanding of how it all works, If your cart is the type that was based around the EZGO TXT frame, there are a lot of upgrades possible with it. Being the 4 x 4 your front end may be different, but many TXT accessories should fit.

Buckfever

Thanks. That will be the next challenge. Mechanical, accessories, and lighting. I blew up a battery and the diode on my main solenoid when I inadvertently reversed the polarity while testing with jumpers. I have upgraded to a 400 amp solenoid and need info on replacing the diode. My research seemed to indicate I needed a 3 amp diode so I ordered some. Then I come to find out there are many different 3 amp diodes but no one includes the diode’s numbers when discussing them. Also it seems the reversing contacter should also have diodes installed. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Buckfever

Back to the drawing board. After using the cart many times yesterday with zero issues I ago out this morning, turn the key switch on, depress the foot pedal and my solenoid engages but the cart won’t move. The reversing contractor actuates back and forth for a few tries and after several times depressing the foot pedal all solenoids go dead. Brand new batteries. Voltage good. Key switch checks out. Has to be something dropping out after being powered for a period of time. Anyone recognize these symptoms?

Buckfever

Just checked the cart again. I disconnected the ground side of the battery pack and let the cart sit without power to the system for a couple of hours. Hooked her back up and she works like new. Any ideas?

Buckfever

Almost afraid to report the problem solved after chasing my tail for so long. Seems I botched the main ground connection on the battery pack when reassembling. Weak ground apparently caused my latest problem. Running again.

shawndempsey7

@Buckfever, what did you do wrong with the ground specifically? My '09 was running fine, but the batteries weren't holding a good charge. I tried to replace, and those threw an electrical error multiple times. I put the old ones back in. Now I have power but not drive. I've replaced the forward/reverse switch and the calanoid, but neither of these helped. I either knocked something loose in the wiring or might have a bad pot box. RTGear is the only place I know for replacement parts, but they don't have that in stock. Any help would be awesome.

FYI, that site has some great diagrams too: