Rewiring for starter switch.

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
Lol..
Man you have been very helpful and I really do appreciate it.

Now I just need to look and find where the ground wire comes from so I don't have to keep using the one that goes to the key switch and back.

I think I got this, I'll get out there without my drunk help and make it happen.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Whatever you do not let any voltage touch that grounding circuit or you'll blow the mag/coil.

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
Ok thanks, I seen they are a bit costly.

I went with 2 std on/off toggles. Got 4 wires run up to the steering column anyways and I would think like my old 4x4 was with 3 stick shifters in the floor it will help to keep people from just cranking it up and driving off with it.
I'll make a tab and weld it to the column tomorrow.

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
I’m not really understanding what you want but maybe a double pole single throw with momentary on one side
Or just a double pole single throw one side could be open on the other side could be close you can do whatever you want with it

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
Got it done. Used 2 plain old on/off toggle switches. Works like a charm.
Now to take it apart and do a nice and solid wire up. I just twisted wires together and made sure it worked. Now I can strip out all the old wiring and run what I need from a fuse block mounted under the seat.
Do that and throttle cable tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help.

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
Question, what makes the starter stop applying power.
My shifter wouldn't go in gear if already in N and once in N wouldn't go to the next.
So I started idling it down, and down till it would, but now I'm wondering is it actually idling or is the starter keeping it alive..

And why would it not want to go in gear if the rear pully isn't turning ? That's what got me confused on that part.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
That is a problem sometimes with club cars trying to get them to idle down so the drive clutch is not engaging, The driven clutch can't be turning when shifting. Most guys try to shift between F and R without stopping in N.

A stronger drive clutch spring will fix the problem, not sure if you just buy the spring or not.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Yes, check and see if its got spark when its idling or if the exhaust pipe stays hot.

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
Well that's not good, so I need to find that point were it stops taking power .. But the new problem is it will not go in gear at all from N ... so to make all this work I now have to get a stiffer drive spring, will a clutch from a 93 fit my motor ? I can get one for free if I need it and or it will fit mine.

Dude that's building the 93 DS with the streetbike engine said I can have the entire drive train from it. But I kinda like my ol flathead 341cc

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
I think I'll put a volt meter on the Gen side so I can watch how it performs, battery side always stays around 12.9v...
Plan on adding a 120w light bar on it soon and when I replace my battery go with a big deep cycle type. Add a fuse block and a pair of 12v power ports under my shifter.