Rewiring for starter switch.

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
Ok I'm ready to ditch the throttle start and go with a 3 way toggle to turn ignition on, then momentary start.

Doing this so I can connect my throttle hand lever to the carb linkage.

I'd also like to ditch all the switches at the shifter as well and be able to start in neutral..

What would be the simplest way to do this ? At this point I'd like to remove all the wires going up to the dash as well. I simply just want this one switch, starter solenoid and voltage regulator. Ill run a power block for other stuff later.

I don't want to pull a wire that's needed so any advice would be very helpful.

. Screenshot_20190506-224755.png

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
It's been a while since I've worked on a older Club Car but I believe you either have to unplug or jump the micro switch in the black box where the throttle cable goes and the golf cart should start as soon as you turn the key on. You'll have to adjust the idle so it stays running without giving it any throttle.

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
Yeah I'll basically convert it to a toggle on the steering column, off-on-start. Throttle cable directly to the carb linkage, find out which switch is for powering up the ignition and the one for the starter/generator on/off..

Then comes the fun of me wanting to do away with the shifter switches.

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
Big waste of time tonight, one switch is the starter switch, the other is ignition and kill switch.
Prob is it still needs the key switch ..
Need to find a way to bypass it all but make sure it still charges..
When and how does the starter know when to start, then stop starting and go to charging ?
My toggle switch also won't work, off, yes, start, yes.. But ignition wires have to stay open till you want to shut it off then connect them, so I need 2 separate switches.
Then find out how they need to wire into the solenoid and voltage regulator. Can't finish my throttle till I get my switch working to bypass the black starter box.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I think your over thinkin' it, i don't remember that engine but i think the ignition needs to be grounded to shut off yes? either way one switch will work.
Once i know how it shuts off i can send ya in the right direction.

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
Yes ground shuts off.

I'd like to ditch all switches but what I run up on the steering column. Including the neutral shift position switch.

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
I'm taking it there is no ignition hot setup. Just circuit open to run, circuit closed off.
Starter on to start but charges all the time (no start then switches to charge) ?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Yes the starter, voltage regulator switch to charging on there own. does your switch have continuity in the off position?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Remember it does not start like a car, the solenoid stays engaged while running:usa:

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
No continuity.

What was hanging me up was I was worried that as I was in the start mode the ignition "on" of the switch would be actually trying to cut it off, therefore keeping it from starting.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Just off and on, OFF grounds the mag and ON engages the solenoid and its runnin'. just need to set the throttle so it idles on its own like rod said.
I use a voltmeter and try to set the idle so it just begins to charge without the clutch engaging.

Or your way would work also i think:hmm:

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I don't think your switch is gonna work, the start circuit needs to be continuous power.

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
Well knowing how the solenoid and starter/generator works helps alot.
Yeah I had it idling last night, doesn't help that the guy I was working with was drunk and kept insisting I needed to keep the key switch to send power to the switch.

I just want to unhook all of the little wires ( not the main power cables from the starter to the solenoid and voltage regulator ) and run my own wires from the switch to the solenoid which I have..

So simply the starter stays in the Start position correct ?

No problem I'll just get a std on/off switch then.

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
Forgive me for being a bit dense but wouldn't I still need 2 switches ?
One that closes the circuit and starts/runs while the other is open.
Then the opposite to shut it off, or a single switch that can do both and if so would that be a double pole single throw ?
I'm thinking of a single switch being open or closed only. Never had a need for any other type.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Don't know the name of them but had a box of them at one time, Long gone now. Maybe two switches would easier.